.280 AI powder suggestions

I drove to Bass Pro after work to see if it was the place I remembered seeing RL23. It was and I grabbed 2 more lbs. there was nothing left on the shelves that I have ever used Other than 1lb of H4831. Plenty of Lil Gun and Tight Clays.

Thanks for all the great information.
Here's the list mentioned:
RL16, RL23, RL26, H4831, H4831sc, H1000, N565, IMR7977, Retumbo ( I might have missed a couple).
Thinking about trying RL23... of course this will depend a little on local availability. I suppose I could pay hazmat if needed but would rather not unless I put in a large order.
Thanks for mentioning the freezer test. I've read about this before but completely forgot about it. I will need to try this as well as maybe cooking a few in the sun to see what kind of velocity swings I get.
Someone asked in the tread about finding load data. Do any of you have good online sources for load data? Are they reputable? My Sierra manual doesn't list info on most of the choices listed above. Thanks again for the help.
I live west of St. Cloud and hunt in NW MN.

Call Berger. They will give you their data for their bullets over the phone. My data may be old. Glad to give you what I have if you pm me. I would love to have 280ai RL23 data for the 160 Accubond.

Tagging in because my first 280 AI is almost complete and I'm starting to look for load ideas. Gunsmith tested the gun before paint and new stock and it shot the factory 162 ELDX in 1 hole. I'll probably start with the 168 VLD or 175 Berger Elite

RL16, RL23, RL26, H4831, H4831sc, H1000, N565, IMR7977, Retumbo ( I might have missed a couple).
Thinking about trying RL23... of course this will depend a little on local availability. I suppose I could pay hazmat if needed but would rather not unless I put in a large order.
Thanks for mentioning the freezer test. I've read about this before but completely forgot about it. I will need to try this as well as maybe cooking a few in the sun to see what kind of velocity swings I get.
Someone asked in the tread about finding load data. Do any of you have good online sources for load data? Are they reputable? My Sierra manual doesn't list info on most of the choices listed above. Thanks again for the help.
This site, accurate shooter, and snipershide are probably the best places to find truthful info for 280ai. Also if you just need a starting load call berger for their bullets. Their tech guys are pretty good, but there load data isn't spot on. Only a good place to start.

I have seen RL 23 on some shelves and will buy it if bump into it again. I have a pound or 2 in the cabinet. I have finally learned that I need to just buy 8lb jugs of stuff that works. I need to buy 8 lbers of Varget and H4350 whenever the opportunity presents itself again.

Look the opportunity presents its self!

64873.jpeg
64873.jpeg

First time post.

Looking for load/powder advise from people who shoot .280AI. I am not looking for bullet advise but would like to know what you're using.

I am planning to work up a NEW load for my rifle.
I am mainly going to use the gun for MN deer out to 600 yards as well as any coyote that presents the opportunity.

I am planning to shoot something in the 140-160gr weight class. Currently using 145gr LRX.

I would like a temperature stable powder that gives good velocity and accuracy with priority on accuracy. Please tell me what you are using. I am also curious about how much a 30-50 degree F temperature swing affects velocity.

My rifle is a trued Rem. 700 with 26" Brux 1:9 twist #5 contour (no brake or can).

Thanks for your advise.
My loads 160 nosler accubond 60 gr vv165 super accurate. 140 accubond 58.2 gr h4350 almost as good tried Barnes ttsx 150 gr was best with h4831 sc

You can verify with Alliant, but RE23 is known to pick up velocity when the powder is cold as opposed to warm in your jacket.
So, when you do your freezer test try 5 rounds with 2 grains lower than your accuracy node, and another identical 5 rounds at ambient summer temp, over a crony or Labradar just to check its response.
When the customer service guy told me this, he didn't say it was a big concern, I just made a mental note of it. It may push you out of the accuracy node is all, assuming you're not on the edge of high pressure you've established.

I use H4831SC for my 145 LRX load @ 3106fps.
H1000 for my 160 TMK load @ 2991fps.
RL23 for my 175 Berger Elite load @ 2976fps.

I am looking forward to trying RL23 again in my new rifle. Just waiting on McMillan to send my stock to Mr. Beanland. Does anone know if McMillan shut down production for a while?

Does anybody know what powder is used in the Hornady precision hunter, 162 ELDX ammo? Its 54.0 gr, I'm thinking maybe IMR 4831. My gun loves it

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.