280 AI load data

I have a Savage 110 Backcountry and have been working on loads with the ELDX and Berger using 4350. I normally have two bullets touching and then a small flyer. I have been adjusting seating depth. But I'm stumped.
If your shooting a 160-175 4350 is a little fast.

The bullet is in the barrel approximately .200 of an inch during rifle recoil, which some refer to as "barrel time".
How you handle recoil, gun placement in the bag, how sturdy the forearm is held in the rest, all come into play with many other issues of gun handling.

Light weight rigs can be difficult to handle without a muzzle break.

When I am shooting two and one flyer, I change primers, and if that does not fix the issue, then I change powders. I am assuming that you have established the best seating depth.

The bullet is in the barrel approximately .200 of an inch during rifle recoil, which some refer to as "barrel time".
How you handle recoil, gun placement in the bag, how sturdy the forearm is held in the rest, all come into play with many other issues of gun handling.

Light weight rigs can be difficult to handle without a muzzle break.

When I am shooting two and one flyer, I change primers, and if that does not fix the issue, then I change powders. I am assuming that you have established the best seating depth.
With the Bergers i have not established a seating depth. I use CCI large rifle primers. It’s not a lightweight rig. It’s a savage 110 backcountry which weighs 8 lbs before I put a Leupold VX5 on it. I’m shooting a muzzle break or suppressor. Off a bipod and a rear bag

I just bought 4 boxes of Hornady ELD X 175 gr bullets . I have a 1@8 twist. Also bought some IMR 7828ssc powder. If I get time to work up a load.

I have a Savage 110 Backcountry and have been working on loads with the ELDX and Berger using 4350. I normally have two bullets touching and then a small flyer. I have been adjusting seating depth. But I'm stumped.
Which 4350?

130 IMR 4350
133 H4350
135 Accurate 4350

I have loaded for a friend using H4350 and IMR 4350 with very good success. However, I got better velocity and group out of H4831SC.

You can also contact Berger's tech support for powder recommendations.

The cause of a flyer can be many things; resolve this first. Good luck!

Which 4350?

130 IMR 4350
133 H4350
135 Accurate 4350

I have loaded for a friend using H4350 and IMR 4350 with very good success. However, I got better velocity and group out of H4831SC.

You can also contact Berger's tech support for powder recommendations.

The cause of a flyer can be many things; resolve this first. Good luck!
We’ve been using H4350. I wondered if I was the issue so I had my brother shoot it also with the same results. With both the ELDX’s and Bergers.

We've been using H4350. I wondered if I was the issue so I had my brother shoot it also with the same results. With both the ELDX's and Bergers.
Like I said, there is a multitude of things that can cause flyers, I.e., torque/loose screws throughout, bedding, condition of the crown, etc.

Bi Pods, depending on the type, can cause major issues. Try gripping the forearm and pulling back and down at a 45* angle vs squeezing the rear bag, expect to see a major change. I showed this technique to a retired marine sniper and he was blown away at the immediate improvement.

I just bought 4 boxes of Hornady ELD X 175 gr bullets . I have a 1@8 twist. Also bought some IMR 7828ssc powder. If I get time to work up a load.
I get 2950 fps with 168 gr Berger VLDs with 7828 out of my 26" barrel. Good accuracy. 1:8.7 twist Bartlein.

The only powder I've used is 59 grs. R19 , Nosler 140, 150 partitions , and 160 AB. Rifles INC. Strata built in Cedar City UT. Only 55 fps spread between the 3 weights and they will all shoot a 3/4"group when I shoot all 3 at the same target @ 100 yds. I've killed a pickup load of animals out to 500 yds. If I could only have one gun it would be my 280 AI. with the 6X Leupold scope in Talley mounts.