.280 Ackley load

had 143 HHs 1/-3/4" at 3180 with H4831sc then switched to 160 ABLRs and H1000 was shooting groups in the .2s and .3s when i do my part so stopped there at 2860 fps. its spors a 26" benchmark carbon wrapped barrel 1:8

This is what I settled on. Christensen Arms Traverse. 26" barrel

Attachments

• CBCED9FB-98C0-4D13-9609-1B90A0071368.jpeg
    CBCED9FB-98C0-4D13-9609-1B90A0071368.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 187
If I can get an accurate load with 175 Elite Hunter, RL23 and get 2830-2850 out of my 24" hunting 280ai, I will be thrilled and will stop messing with loads. Will revisit my 6.5x47 and might load for my new TRG 300WM.

If anyone is using Peterson brass, Reding Competition dies and the 175 Elite Hunter, I would be interested in your neck bushing size. I was using .308 for Nosler and have upped to .309 for Peterson but not sure am correct. Do not have a micrometer to measure neck wall thickness. Loaded (unturned) neck is measuring about .313 on a caliper.

Last edited:
If anyone is using Peterson brass, Remington Competition dies and the 175 Elite Hunter, I would be interested in your neck bushing size. I was using .308 for Nosler and have upped to .309 for Peterson but not sure am correct. Do not have a micrometer to measure neck wall thickness. Loaded (unturned) neck is measuring about .313 on a caliper.
Get a mandrel for your desired tension.

Get a mandrel for your desired tension.
Sorry but do not understand. Used to think that the formula was to subtract .002 from the loaded case neck diameter. If you have thicker brass this is not necessarily valid. Neck tension with the .309 bushing and standard bushing seems ok but have no idea.

Sorry but do not understand. Used to think that the formula was to subtract .002 from the loaded case neck diameter. If you have thicker brass this is not necessarily valid. Neck tension with the .309 bushing and standard bushing seems ok but have no idea.
Standard is measure loaded round and get a bushing .002-.003 for your desired neck tension. You can also buy a mandrel die and a mandrel for your desired neck tension and use the mandrel to expand the neck to your specifications. I use a bushing die without expander ball and then run the brass through the mandrel die to make sure I'm at the same neck tension every time.

If anyone is using Peterson brass, Reding Competition dies and the 175 Elite Hunter, I would be interested in your neck bushing size. I was using .308 for Nosler and have upped to .309 for Peterson but not sure am correct. Do not have a micrometer to measure neck wall thickness. Loaded (unturned) neck is measuring about .313 on a caliper.
Also. You are doing it right. Even though brass may be thicker, if you measure the od of a loaded round then subtract .002 you will still have that amount of neck tension for that set of brass. It will be different between lots and manufactures so you need to measure whenever you change your brass. I have three different bushings indie for three different manufacturers of brass use in my ackley.

If I can get an accurate load with 175 Elite Hunter, RL23 and get 2830-2850 out of my 24" hunting 280ai, I will be thrilled and will stop messing with loads. Will revisit my 6.5x47 and might load for my new TRG 300WM.
Have you or anyone you know has tried IMR 7828ssc on any of the heavier bullets?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.