28 nosler which bullets

Mt.Boy

Hello I am having a 28 nosler built at the moment. I will be using a 1-9 twist barrel I had on hand. My gunsmith said that the 1-9 will rule out throating it for the 195 Berger's due to an 1-9 wouldn't stabilize them right at my altitude. And suggested throating it for 180 gr bullets. Just wondered what bullets in that range is giving everyone the best results on game. Thinking the 180 Berger's ,the 180 eldm and 175 eldx . Any info would be great thanks !!

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with either of those choices .I've been running the 180 eld simply because of supply issues with Berger. I wanted a bullet that was available whenever I felt like ordering more.

My gun also has a 9 twist, no issues with stabilizing out to 1100.

With my max load established at 83g I loaded 81.5, 82, 82.5, and 83 grains at 10 thou jump. Shot round robin at 300 yards. All loads were sub .75 moa. 82.5 and 83 were the best with 82.5 being sub .5 moa and 83 just over .5 moa but almost no vertical. There was some mirage and a light variable 2mph breeze so I reloaded four at 82, 82.5 and 83 and retested at 100 yards to minimize wind and mirage. 83 came in the best with a 4 shot 3/8" group.

Update: I checked the coal to touching the lands after 70 rounds and I am at 3.606. That's a .002 longer that my first reading. I checked again at 130 rounds and it has held at 3.606.

I've had mixed results with Berger's Nosler Accubond 160's and Barnes TTX seem to shoot great. Ended up chasing a mule deer over 600 yds. with Berger's 168 gr. deer was hit right behind the shoulder. Another dropped in it's tracks. Don't know if it was a really hardy deer or just bad luck. But I will say Berger's group very tight together.

I use a 180 Hybrid in my 28 Nosler. I have a 1-8 twist but haven't felt the need to change. I even had 500 195s at one point. The 180 Hybrid shoots nice little groups and has done fine on game for me

With my max load established at 83g I loaded 81.5, 82, 82.5, and 83 grains at 10 thou jump. Shot round robin at 300 yards. All loads were sub .75 moa. 82.5 and 83 were the best with 82.5 being sub .5 moa and 83 just over .5 moa but almost no vertical. There was some mirage and a light variable 2mph breeze so I reloaded four at 82, 82.5 and 83 and retested at 100 yards to minimize wind and mirage. 83 came in the best with a 4 shot 3/8" group.

Update: I checked the coal to touching the lands after 70 rounds and I am at 3.606. That's a .002 longer that my first reading. I checked again at 130 rounds and it has held at 3.606.
What bullet and powder were u using ?

Nosler is notorious for making batches of brass. When it's gone, you'll be waiting awhile. I'd be very hesitant to build or buy any of the Nosler rounds. I had same issue with Nosler 300 RUM brass.

Can't go wrong with either of those choices .I've been running the 180 eld simply because of supply issues with Berger. I wanted a bullet that was available whenever I felt like ordering more.

My gun also has a 9 twist, no issues with stabilizing out to 1100.
What powder do u use with them. How are they on game? Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.