28 nosler which bullets

I haven't searched for the max because my break in load shot so well. I am at 3180 with a 26 inch barrel.

Hello I am having a 28 nosler built at the moment. I will be using a 1-9 twist barrel I had on hand. My gunsmith said that the 1-9 will rule out throating it for the 195 Berger's due to an 1-9 wouldn't stabilize them right at my altitude. And suggested throating it for 180 gr bullets. Just wondered what bullets in that range is giving everyone the best results on game. Thinking the 180 Berger's ,the 180 eldm and 175 eldx . Any info would be great thanks !!
Just a suggestion but why not try Hammer bullets and go a little lighter?

In a 26" 1:9 I have tried 175 ABLR, 175 ELDX, 180 Berger VLD Hunting and Hybrid Target, 160 Federal TBT, 168 VLD Hunting, 155 Hammer Hunters, and 168 Nosler HPBT at various OAL lengths using H1000, Retumbo, and 7828 (R33 was been hard for me to source but want to try it).

Best groups and my current load is with 175 ABLR and Retumbo just off the lands at ~3200fps. All Bergers have shot well with most recipes (168 VLDs were best followed by 180 VLD Hunting), but not great and I'm not a fan of Bergers for hunting (cue rfurmen24 and L.Sherm to tell me otherwise). ELDX was an utter failure in all loads... the Federals have potential but giving up weight for this cartridge IMO. The Hammers did not do well, but I did not really ring them out and would like a heavier bullet.

I want to try some of the Barnes 168 LRX, but still have plenty of the ABLRs currently.

In a 26" 1:9 I have tried 175 ABLR, 175 ELDX, 180 Berger VLD Hunting and Hybrid Target, 160 Federal TBT, 168 VLD Hunting, 155 Hammer Hunters, and 168 Nosler HPBT at various OAL lengths using H1000, Retumbo, and 7828 (R33 was been hard for me to source but want to try it).

Best groups and my current load is with 175 ABLR and Retumbo just off the lands at ~3200fps. All Bergers have shot well with most recipes (168 VLDs were best followed by 180 VLD Hunting), but not great and I'm not a fan of Bergers for hunting (cue rfurmen24 and L.Sherm to tell me otherwise). ELDX was an utter failure in all loads... the Federals have potential but giving up weight for this cartridge IMO. The Hammers did not do well, but I did not really ring them out and would like a heavier bullet.

I want to try some of the Barnes 168 LRX, but still have plenty of the ABLRs currently.
Great info thank you. My barrel will be like yours. A 1-9 26in . Hoping to find a good bullet for hunting. That is accurate for ringing steel in the off season. My hunting shots can be from 75 yd to 1000. I know it might be hard to find something that fits that bill

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.