28 Nosler throat erosion 😳😳

Huntnful

This is from my dads rifle. I've loaded for it since the very beginning. It's been shooting 155 Hammer Hunters with 84gr. of N570 for about 200 rounds. When the gun was brand new I checked the jam on the bullet (case on the left). I've been chasing a steep velocity drop lately, so I decided to recheck it by jamming another bullet. .236" of throat erosion in right around 200-250 rounds 😬😬.

EBA9FEEC-E314-4237-8E4C-F41F8ACA023B.jpeg

That is extreme...never seen that in such a short period of time. A custom bbl should last 800-1000 as long as you are running it normally and not treating it like a PRS gun.

How many total rounds are through that bbl, not just the hammer hunters - if there are a lot of total rounds through it, you may have burned the bbl but you should have seen some accuracy/velocity issues prior to the bullet COAL getting so far out of baseline. Again, that difference in just 200 rounds is way out of the norm

I changed to a 280 AI after seeing how quick my 28 Nosler was burning up. I still have my 28 Nosler but it is only for hunting.
I've had a 7Rum since 2008, but only have around 250 rounds through her. I was told 600 to 800. Funny years back when I got my first 264.Wm the old timers told me you will only get 800 to 1000 rounds down her. Called it a barrel burner. One of the reasons the 264 didn't sale. Look at us know, I have 2 . 264.Wm, a 6.5-300, a. 7 Rum and 2. 300RUM. Also almost forgot a 30-378 this caliber you get max 500 rounds. If you want Hp. Or in rifle terms FPS you pay to Play. 🤓

Just got confirmation that the SAAMI COAL on the hammer in a 28 nosler is right around 3.500"

I had his baseline case at 3.360" for some reason. But that was in a ****** fierce chamber that had to be re-reamed. I'm honestly not sure if I ever rechecked the baseline case after if was returned from fierce.

The current COAL of the case after maybe 250 TOTAL shots is 3.620".

So even if I somehow messes up on the initial baseline case, still looking at an erosion of .120". That sound more realistic? lol

I was planning on ordering a custom reamer with a little more room on the throat to seat the 180 VLD boat tail @ the neck shoulder junction and gaining a little more space for the LRX. Maybe I should just order a Sammi and shoot it until I get there 🤣🤣.
On my current 28 nosler I'm gettin 3286 fps out of a 26" bartlein using 86.5gr RL-33 and 168 Barnes LRX bullets but this pills are loooong and they really like to jump so case volume is a little issue. I'm having to really compress the powder to get them to shoot accurately