28 Nosler BCs

werth338

Has anyone used a LabRadar or some sort of other chrono that gives velocities at different ranges? I am trying to get an idea of what the actual BC for 28 Nosler loadings and how it compares to published. I am assuming the actual BC will be higher but am trying to get an idea of how much. If anyone has any data they could provide, it would be appreciated. If possible would bullet brand, weight and muzzle velocity be added in additional to calculated BC?

You'll need to tweek the BULLET BC to your particular load/rifle.
Berger BC will be very close.
The Hornady BCs need to be averaged across all three Mach speeds. Or just use the 4DOF calculator and make a custom model.

Once this is done, you can confirm/tweek data with actual shooting.

Has anyone used a LabRadar or some sort of other chrono that gives velocities at different ranges? I am trying to get an idea of what the actual BC for 28 Nosler loadings and how it compares to published. I am assuming the actual BC will be higher but am trying to get an idea of how much. If anyone has any data they could provide, it would be appreciated. If possible would bullet brand, weight and muzzle velocity be added in additional to calculated BC?
BC is calculated by the bullet brand, weight, shape, caliber, and velocity. The cartridge has absolutely nothing to do with measuring BC, other than knowing approximate velocities you'll be pushing that particular bullet at.

Also, BC is an estimate, so like Gohring3006 said, you will still want to confirm your drops at all distances before trusting a calculator.

I agree with all of the items noted above. I am asking if has calculated their BC for this caliber based on bullet, weight, velocity, etc. I am trying to gain some additional insight for this caliber.

I agree with all of the items noted above. I am asking if has calculated their BC for this caliber based on bullet, weight, velocity, etc. I am trying to gain some additional insight for this caliber.
I think you are misusing the terms "cartridge" and "caliber". Caliber is the diameter of the bullet (5.56mm/.224, 6.5mm/.264, 7mm/.284, 7.62/.308, etc...). Cartridge is what the bullet fits into. Only bullets have a ballistic coefficient...Cartridges don't. The bullet's BC is already pre-established and listed by the bullet manufacturer on their website.

For added clarity, a 28 nosler does not have a ballistic coefficient. A 140 gr nosler ballistic tip does have a ballistic coefficient

Ok. Maybe I misused cartridge and caliber and for that I apologize. I don't think it is that big of a deal and I understand the difference between the two. I am simply asking has anyone have any additional BC info for bullets being shot out of a 28 Nosler. BC will change with the velocity that they are moving. A BC number website and number stamped on a box are based on an assumptions as others noted. I am asking to see if anyone has verified any of the BCs and what that looks like based on bullet and velocity from a 28 Nosler.

Ok. Maybe I misused cartridge and caliber and for that I apologize. I don't think it is that big of a deal and I understand the difference between the two. I am simply asking has anyone have any additional BC info for bullets being shot out of a 28 Nosler. BC will change with the velocity that they are moving. A BC number website and number stamped on a box are based on an assumptions as others noted. I am asking to see if anyone has verified any of the BCs and what that looks like based on bullet and velocity from a 28 Nosler.

Then ask which bullet you're wondering about. There's a lot of 7mm bullets out there. I believe nosler is now publishing Doppler radar bc on their lr accubond. That would be a good place to start with those. You have to test and usually adjust bc for ur particular rifle and environmentals

I agree rifles and enviros are different and one gets different results. I am trying to decide if I want to buy at 28 Nosler and see if anyone can provide and insight on what they have experienced to try and determine if it makes sense to move forward. I understand it is a general questions but I am trying to get some general feedback to see what real world experience is out there. With the prices of decent rifles, scopes, bullets, etc, I value additional insight given the cost to entry is steep in some cases.

You're going to have to decide what velocity you're going to run.
You're going to have to decide what bullet.
You're going to have to decide what twist.
The bullet's BC is dependent on all those factors and more.
Contrary to some, there is no magic cartridge...

If you need some hard data on a particular cartridge performance, I would ask, "what kind of velocity can I expect out of a 26" 28 Nosler with 180 Bergers?" You'll get some answers along with some load data base lines, like which powder is working best for them.

I 100% agree that there isn't a magic bullet or cartridge. I was asking about what bullet, BC and velocity to get a baseline of what Is real and be able to dump it into a ballistic program. I have looked at reloading data and manufacturers Bc data and used that. Was trying to get additional information.

Noted on the general vs specific question and typically prefer to be specific.

At the end of the day, I am trying to see what was real world. The driving factor is trying to look at data to see if there is a reason to spend money on another gun and spend the money hunting. I feel I have the spectrum covered with a 6.5-300 or 338-378 in the safe right now as my primary hunting rifles. I didn't want to bring in all kinds of bias if I hate/love Weatherby or the numerous other comments/bias I have seen when some subjects or brands are brought up. I am open to adding a caliber and maybe dropping one to add one.

If I look at ballistics based on what I see from shooting my current rifles vs assumptions on the 28 Nosler, there isn't a reason ballistically to justify the cash outlay. That is where I would like real world input vs making assumptions. There is obviously more than just ballistics that go into a decision but I am a person that want to evaluate all angles. I would assume that most of us had made a decision on a gun and shortly look back and ask why did I do that and with current costs that is frustrating.

I wasn't trying to make this into anything adversarial. I was looking for input from a group that has experience that I don't and would like to learn. If I worded the post/thread poorly, it wasn't intentional. I was on a conference call and multi-tasking was a failure this time. My boss wouldn't be amused to know I was writing a thread about a 28 Nosler during his call.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.