28 Nosler and 169gr Hammer Hunters

From what I've seen and read most are using N570 and a few are using Retumbo when it comes to the 169 HH in 28 Nosler. There is one guy listing H1000 on the Hammer site but he's using the 177 but he seem to get getting good results.

The vertical is interesting as for that low of spread you wouldn't expect to see it at 100 yards. Have you shot it at distance?
I have N570, Retumbo, RL33 and H1000. I didn't want to try RL33 due to how dirty it is and I understand N570 is as well, have not tried that powder in my 28 yet, heck just now was able to get a pound of it late last year. I have two pounds of Retumbo and around 5 pounds of H1000. The throat is a little eroded from the RL33 back when I was pushing the 195 down pretty hard, I wanted to start off with a cooler burning powder on these 169HH to see if I can get them to shoot, they seem to be except for that darn vertical. I am going to try 79.5 in the morning, if the wind is good, then if same issue pops up, start on seating a little deeper and see what happens. Once I get it, then I will try for distance. I only have 50 of those HH and trying to not waste so many. I have already harvested a buck this season with my 6.5 Creed and the 110HH, now want to try the 28 with 169 HH, I have the load with it at 80 to hunt, hope to iron it out better so I can take it out later this week.

I would try 3 shot groups at 78, 78.5, and 79 grains. The numbers there look really good. You have enough velocity there to kill anything shy of a T rex. If that doesn't trim out the vertical I would then change the seating depth to try and shape the group that way. If that doesn't work I would try the Retumbo. My 7 Rum loves the Retumbo with just about any bullet I have tried, the H1000 not so much. cheers, Jason

I would try 3 shot groups at 78, 78.5, and 79 grains. The numbers there look really good. You have enough velocity there to kill anything shy of a T rex. If that doesn't trim out the vertical I would then change the seating depth to try and shape the group that way. If that doesn't work I would try the Retumbo. My 7 Rum loves the Retumbo with just about any bullet I have tried, the H1000 not so much. cheers, Jason
Thank you for your advice. I had four setup for 79.5, but it was very windy right at dawn today. I will run the test you mentioned as well to see what it shows.

Today I decided to work with my 28 Nosler and Hammer Hunters, I had this rifle for several years custom built by Alliance Custom Armory, it shoots pretty good, but wanted to get your feedback on what to try. I loaded up using H1000, the throat has some erosion from me pushing it with 195 Berger's, so I did not want to break out RL33 off the bat, I did a deep clean on it in 2019 and had not shot it since. Below is my target at 100yds the center bullseye is me getting it back to zero, had the scope on another rifle for over a year. The left bullseye is with 80.0 gr of H1000 and the right Bullseye is 80.5. Now, with 80.5 I am looking at ejector marks, the group is the same, however it's 80 and 80.5 I am at Vertical string in three shot group. Below are my loads with Average FPS, ES and SD.

Started at 76gr and went to 80 at two shots per load to find pressure.
76 average 3075 ES 49 SD 34
77 average 3144 ES 30 SD 21
78 average 3148 ES 8 SD 5
79 average 3201 ES 8 SD 5
80 average 3244 ES 0 SD 0

Loaded 3 per load
80 average 3249 ES 15 SD 8
80.5 average 3284 ES 16 SD 8 ejector marks, stiff bolt.

View attachment 311894
Did it vertical string with Berger bullets? I'm guessing not. Did the shots string low to high or random?

Change the seating depth

Did it vertical string with Berger bullets? I'm guessing not. Did the shots string low to high or random?
I am not sure, I did not walk to the target after each shot, the color of the construction paper made it difficult to observe each hit. I am going to say random since I did see the second shot hit the orange bullseye.

I was able to test 79.5gr, loaded four and came up with 3255 average FPS with ES of 23 and SD 9 measured .856 with Calipers, but not sure where the fourth bullet went, only three holes, but they are not vertical. Then loaded four at 79.3gr and came out with average of 3234FPS with ES 24 and SD 12, group size with two touching and two not came to about same .856. I think it is time to work on seating depth.

Attachments

• IMG_20211126_092547344.jpg
    IMG_20211126_092547344.jpg
    852.1 KB · Views: 91
I was able to test 79.5gr, loaded four and came up with 3255 average FPS with ES of 23 and SD 9 measured .856 with Calipers, but not sure where the fourth bullet went, only three holes, but they are not vertical. Then loaded four at 79.3gr and came out with average of 3234FPS with ES 24 and SD 12, group size with two touching and two not came to about same .856. I think it is time to work on seating depth.
What is more likely to give you better groups is crimping the top of the neck with the Lee factory crimp die as Butterbean has posted a video of the process several times on this site. Most who try it seem to get positive results.

Seating depth changes do not have as much of an impact with Hammers as other brands. They are less seating depth sensitive than other brands, which is a good thing = less time to tune a load.