28 Nosler 180 ELDM VS 195 EOL

Rhovee

I am curious what others have found with this combo. I have a 28 Nosler and shoot the 195 Berger's at 3060. I know another guy who also has a 28 Nosler but shoots the 180 ELDM at 3250. When you run the numbers the 180 ELDM beats the 195 EOL in every aspect. Am i missing something here? I have heard from some well respected shooters that they would always prefer to run loads between 3000-3100. Anyone with experience as to why someone would want to stay away from running a load that fast?

I'm not sure about "every" aspect, but being that it's lighter it will beat it in velocity. It also won't beat it in retained energy. I'm also not positive that you're running the 195 to it's fullest potential. Seems to be too large of a gap to me, for only 15 grains of bullet weight difference in the same diameter bore. What powder are you using? Might try a different powder if you're getting pressure signs that early. Try something like RL33 or N570.

Also, has anyone proven if Hornady's BC's are correct? Nosler inflates theirs on their bullets, and the BC's on the Hornady's are really high and appear (at first glance) to be exaggerated as well... I don't know if they are, but they appear to be.

28 Nosler and 180's at 3250 is hauling. I had my 28 Nosler with 180's going 3200 + , but killed brass quick. I have backed it down to 3150 fps and performed well. 180's do perform well, and hammer but after 1K I think the 195 take over & hold energy. I switched to 195's at 3050 using RL33, and must say I'm impressed me at 1235 yards.

I am wondering this same thing. On paper the 180 seems like the way to go, but most guys are running the 195's. My 28 is a factory rifle so it may do better with the lighter bullet. I plan on making a thread about this in the next few months as I have time to load and shoot.

Ya I haven't ran a 180 through mine to see what the pressure would be. But 3250 does seem fast. It's a Broughton barrel which are known to be faster. I am running N570. 3060 shoots very well so I can't complain to much on that.

I am running the 195s at 3115 fps with only 66 rds through barrel so far which seems to be about what most guys are running them with RL33 with there guns throated long for the 195s, Now the guys running SAMMI spec chamber reach pressure alot sooner then me and they are usually in the High 2900s to low 3000s, But once my barrel settles in and speeds up I plan on trying to keep it in the 3125-3150 area. I had mine built just for the 195s

First loads testing in a newly rebarreled 26", with new brass 180 ELDM and a top load, not max, of 80.5gn of Retumbo, yielded avg velocity of 3124fps, 6.6 SD...very promising results to start and excellent groups!

I'm going to see where this goes? As a long time user of the 7STW and the 7RUM, I REALLY LIKE THIS CARTRIDGE

Last edited:
jasonco,
My 180gr Lapua Scenar load is 81grs. Retumbo in Norma case, Fed 215M, .020" OTL, and 26" barrel yields 3150 fps. avg. Switched to 195's and RL33 to really stretch its legs. I really enjoy this cartridge, but it eats throats fast.

jasonco,
My 180gr Lapua Scenar load is 81grs. Retumbo in Norma case, Fed 215M, .020" OTL, and 26" barrel yields 3150 fps. avg. Switched to 195's and RL33 to really stretch its legs. I really enjoy this cartridge, but it eats throats fast.
My years of experience with the magnum 7's, they all will do that. I love my sevens to death. A 7mm bullet just drops ****!

28 Nosler and 180's at 3250 is hauling. I had my 28 Nosler with 180's going 3200 + , but killed brass quick. I have backed it down to 3150 fps and performed well. 180's do perform well, and hammer but after 1K I think the 195 take over & hold energy. I switched to 195's at 3050 using RL33, and must say I'm impressed me at 1235 yards.

Why would the 195 take over if it has a lower BC?

Sectional density. Grains per diameter of bullet.
I can see the sd being a factor in a regular bullet. But in the berger's design envelope it seems that they do not perform up to that # in a less than perfect placement. I don't shoot a 7 anything so please don't flame me just trying to understand how a higher bc lighter bullet going faster will be outperformed by a heavier lower bc bullet with just a sd advantage? If they both shoot to the same accuracy level would it be just a coin flip or are there real advantages?

Tagging in. I'm going to try the 180 ELD-M's.
Hornady does the bracketed BC on these bullets. The BC on the box is the Mach 2.5 BC, 1:7.75 Twist BC.

Hornady lists different BC's for different twist rates. What I've been reading if you use the average BC for the Hornady ELD, you'll be really close.

upload_2017-12-28_8-16-47.png

In a factory, 1:9 twist, 180 Hornady vs 180 Berger, the Hornady looks pretty sweet. 195 appears to work if you have enough speed and altitude in a 1:9 twist.

In a custom, 1:8 twist, the ELD-M does appear to have a better BC than the 195. If it shoots a little faster and has a better BC, the 180 could be an attractive option for many (Factory or custom).

The Hornady bullets are a little cheaper. I got mine on sale for $28/box at Cabelas.
Source:
https://www.hornady.com/support/ballistic-coefficient

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.