.277 bullets

I think I read here somewhere that they were a little fragile? Which may be exactly what you need at the outer limits?

Wow that was interesting how the twist affects BC, I had no clue. Then agin I aint the sharpest arra in the quiver. So can I guess that..... say my 1in10 is marginal making the BC lower for a longer heavy bullet. Is it possible a shorter lighter bullet with a little lower advertised BC might actually be higher BC in the real world. I mean it's going faster and better stabilized. I know years ago I shot most times for hunting Barnes X. I had a 270 Win that I'm sure had a 1 in 10. I bought plain old Hornady 150 round nose. ( the most accurate bullet I ever shot out of that 270) and some 150 Barnes. Yall know how long for weight them Barnes are. I was using the 150s because I was gonna hunt bear. Well the Hornadys was making one ragged hole groups and the Barnes were all over the place, you could see the holes were a little wide to.
I talked to a few folks I respected about it and there answer was the bullets too long for your twist.
Now back then I sure didn't have pockets full of money and them Barnes wernt cheap. I called them up and ask why they would sell a bullet that wont shoot outa a regular twist and not advertise that. Never did get a very good answer. Back then Barnes had a lot of other problems that they seemed to have ironed out.

I think I read here somewhere that they were a little fragile? Which may be exactly what you need at the outer limits?

Yep aint that why so many folks like Bergers. Reckon there aint much better deal than a bullet flying ta pieces inside a deers chest. I think I would chose fragile if I was shooting long range where I had a better chance of picking my shot and wanted the deer to fall fast. Plus it seems that it may help if you was a little off the mark ( of course that aint never happened ta me....HA) Just stay away from that top of that big shoulder bone. I'm glad I found this board I know squat bout long range shootin so almost every thing I read is new interesting stuff. Just been a traditional archer mainly for the last so many years but did a recent bout with cancer that kinda knocked me out of that for awhile.

Wow that was interesting how the twist affects BC, I had no clue. Then agin I aint the sharpest arra in the quiver. So can I guess that..... say my 1in10 is marginal making the BC lower for a longer heavy bullet. Is it possible a shorter lighter bullet with a little lower advertised BC might actually be higher BC in the real world. I mean it's going faster and better stabilized. I know years ago I shot most times for hunting Barnes X. I had a 270 Win that I'm sure had a 1 in 10. I bought plain old Hornady 150 round nose. ( the most accurate bullet I ever shot out of that 270) and some 150 Barnes. Yall know how long for weight them Barnes are. I was using the 150s because I was gonna hunt bear. Well the Hornadys was making one ragged hole groups and the Barnes were all over the place, you could see the holes were a little wide to.
I talked to a few folks I respected about it and there answer was the bullets too long for your twist.
Now back then I sure didn't have pockets full of money and them Barnes wernt cheap. I called them up and ask why they would sell a bullet that wont shoot outa a regular twist and not advertise that. Never did get a very good answer. Back then Barnes had a lot of other problems that they seemed to have ironed out.

As Bryan suggested on the link I provided, use their SG calculator >>> Twist Rate Stability Calculator | Berger Bullets to figure out if your rifle can stabilize the bullet you're going to use. Not sure where you at but altitude is your friend when it comes to SG.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.