.277 mythical berger bullet

HRstretch

Is it real or just a fantasy? Has any one seen one yet ? Will the lowly very popular caliber finally get a chance to shine with this bullet also?

As of 5 minutes ago, Bergerbullets.com did NOT have a.277 VLD posted. so let's hope it is real. This would greatly add life to this old favorite.

This was in a reply to some questions I had asked them not long ago..

"The .270 bullets should be complete with production later on this month or the beginning of October. The grains made for that caliber will be 130, 140VLD, and 150VLD."

I know sometimes dates and time run a little behind, so hopefully not too far away.

meat damage?

We all know that Berger are on the verge of releasing the .277 vld in 140gr and 150gr but how will they compare to the 135gr SMK for meat damage. The SMKs are potent hunting bullets but on occasions I have had almost unacceptable meat damage on heart shots inside 200 meters - throwing most of a shoulder away etc. The 135gr SMK shoot flat and fast and hit VERY hard.

We all know that Berger are on the verge of releasing the .277 vld in 140gr and 150gr but how will they compare to the 135gr SMK for meat damage. The SMKs are potent hunting bullets but on occasions I have had almost unacceptable meat damage on heart shots inside 200 meters - throwing most of a shoulder away etc. The 135gr SMK shoot flat and fast and hit VERY hard.
[/I]

I would think the bullet will perform as well as the other Berger bullets have in other calibers. I am shooting 150grn SMK in my 7mm STW and i blew a shoulder up on a hog at about 80 yards, clipped the front shoulder and put a 6" hole going in, then had a standard looking bullet path on a hog at 180 yards MV is at 3300 fps. I really want to see what this new .277 bullet will do in my old model 721.

I'm not familiar with Berger bullets so I read up on their hunting VLD. It seem pretty good with great numbers. I hope they do come out with it for the 270, I'm always looking for 'flatter'.

The 277 bullet's will be coming. Eric has posted here about and in other places. Exact time-don't know. An email to eric would be the best way to find out the up to date time frame.

Berger 270 bullet

We are setting up the jacket machine now for the 270 cal. We have run into a few tooling issues which are resolved (so far). If all goes well we will have jackets made in the next few days.

After the jackets are made we will test the bullet dies. If the bullet dies check out we will have the first full production run in the next two weeks. If the dies don't pass the test then it could be 1 to 6 weeks longer depending on what needs to be fixed.

We are very close but will not allow the bullets to be made if they are not up to our standards. This can cause delays. We won't know the BC until we have some bullets in our hands.

Devildoc,

We will be making the 338 but to do so will require a new machine with a longer stroke. We have already started the process. The bullet designs are finished. The tooling prints are being worked on right now and we will start building the new machine in the coming months (building the new machine should take less than 4 months). The 338 project is very important however we are a small outfit by comparison and resources are limited so it will take a little time.

Regards,
Eric

Erick,

I knew you were working diligently to get this bullet into production. I just didn't want to let the rhetoric die down to much about this caliber.

Kind of off topic but how do the 135g SMK compair to the Accubond or Blistic tip bullets for 500y+ shots on deer out of a 270win?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.