277 AM First call to duty

I shot my first moose with a nosler 130 grain partition, and it was not very far away, 35-40yds, I had complete faith in that load because it had worked well on elk and deer, if she is recoil shy this would be the bullet that I would use, Jack O'connor shot two moose in Alaska, at 600 yds with this same load, they did not go over 40 yds before they dropped, this was done with a 4x weaver scope 6 inch dot and a model 70, his favorite rifle. I have used the 270 exclusively for the last 30 years and love it

I would not recommend the 130 gr Partition for the 277 Allen Magnum. I have found that the parition wall will split when muzzle velocity is over 3300 fps and if impacts are under 300 yards.

The 277 AM, based on a necked down and improved 338 Lapua parent case will drive these to 3700 fps easily.....

The 140 gr Accubond actually outperforms the Partition at these velocities. Its a mangled mess of lead and copper but with the partition, if you loose the partition barrier, penetration stops cold. The 160 gr Partition would be better but its BC is pretty low. Until Wildcat Bullets get their 169.5 gr ULD RBBT back in production, I recommend the Accubonds or TSX for the 270 AM or 277 AMs.

Thank you for correcting me on bullet selection, I was unaware of the 270 AM velocities. the most I heard of was the 270 Weatherby and the new short magnums

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts