270wsm with hammer bullets

If you can seat the 126g HH out so it is not in the case then rl26 may be great. The lower engraving pressure with Hammers usually tends to like the powders that are on the faster side for cartridge and bullet weight. Rl23 could be really good.

I shoot the 165 Matrix in my 270wsm for long range and I use 160gr Partitions for out to 400 yards. This gives me the same poi out to 200 yards. The hammers being so much lighter and using a different powder than your 165gr Matrix load will not give you that kind of consistancy in my opinion.

At 3400 fps, should be mild, the 126g Hammer Hunter will reach 750y, at 4000' elev at just over 1800 fps. It will have a max point blank range of 400y on a 5" radius. Accuracy won't be a problem. Weight retention will always be 70% throughout the range. They will all weigh the same and have the same dimensions lot to lot. So if that is inconsistent I guess I am good with that.

Steve, if you are referring to my "not give you that kind of consistency" statement, I was referring to having a load with the 165gr. Matrix for a long range shot and carrying a 126 gr. Bullet & different load for your close range shot. POI would theoretically be quite different as opposed to using the same load or nearly so with a similar weight of bullet. I was not and would never say anything neg. about the hammer bullets, and in fact was recently thinking about trying some. Chris

Steve, if you are referring to my "not give you that kind of consistency" statement, I was referring to having a load with the 165gr. Matrix for a long range shot and carrying a 126 gr. Bullet & different load for your close range shot. POI would theoretically be quite different as opposed to using the same load or nearly so with a similar weight of bullet. I was not and would never say anything neg. about the hammer bullets, and in fact was recently thinking about trying some. Chris
I understood what you meant. And i could be wrong . So let me know if so. I was going to sight the 126 about 2 or 2.5" high at 100yards that should give me really good # out to about 400yards drop wise. Then the 165 can be where ever it is as long as its vertical with the 126. And i can enter that data into my G7rangefinder and run turrets anytime i shoot the 165 like i do know. Or just enter both i into my G7 and turn turrets that way.

At what distance does the matrix start to slow down to the point it wouldn't be suitable for game? I was running two setups in my 6.5 creed for a bit thinking the 147 would get me out farther. But after looking at the data. I ended up with just the one load. For steel out past hunting range of the creed the 147 is better so it makes sense. Just thought I would throw that out. Sometimes we need to look at what distance we should take game at not what round will get us out farther. Even though I could hit game at 1000 with my creed and a 147 doesn't mean I should.

With the 165 matrix at 3000fps i would take deer to 1000y and elk to 900. At my elevation. We have a few animals at 700+ with that round and its done amazing. The 126hammers really i just wanted to about 400yard point and shoot per say. Since some of my shots are close like 10y-50yards in the thick oregon coast brush. and i have not had best results with the 165 at that range on a deer. It killed but not the best bullets for that range i think. And from what i hear the hammer are up for that.

Didn't mean to come across as insulted, just took the opportunity to show what would be possible with the 270 wsm and the 126g Hammer Hunter. And talk about consistency.

If longer range than what the 126g HH would offer is needed it would not be difficult to zero the rifle with the heavier bullets then dial the turret to the MPBR zero for the 126g HH. Now the rifle could be held center mass on game to 400y and still hold hair out to 450y with out any turret adjustment. Then if the Matrix is used it would be a matter of dialing from there.

Didn't mean to come across as insulted, just took the opportunity to show what would be possible with the 270 wsm and the 126g Hammer Hunter. And talk about consistency.

If longer range than what the 126g HH would offer is needed it would not be difficult to zero the rifle with the heavier bullets then dial the turret to the MPBR zero for the 126g HH. Now the rifle could be held center mass on game to 400y and still hold hair out to 450y with out any turret adjustment. Then if the Matrix is used it would be a matter of dialing from there.
Thats what i was thinking also. I will place my order for the 126hh as soon as i get time hopfully tomorrow

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.