270wsm bullets

frostop

I am currently using the Matrix 165, which work great on deer. I have shot two deer with them and neither one of those shots were what I would consider long range, 85 yards and 190 yards.
Both bullets hit bone and there wasn't much left of the bullet at all, really fragmented and destroyed a fair amount of meat. I have a couple hundred of these that I would like to retain for hunting bullets.

That being said that is not the reason for this post!

I am wanting to take one of the long range classes mainly for fun but I am sure that I will learn alot, most of those classes require a couple hundred rounds of ammo that will shoot sub MOA. I don't want to burn up the matrix on that since I can't get them anymore.

I am considering the 150 Interbond, maybe the berger 170 but I don't really want to loose any velocity. I have shot the 150 combined technology bullets(Nosler Ballistic tip) and they seem to shoot ok but really would like to stick with something that I would consider an elk bullet but don't want to spend basically a buck a bullet-barnes, hammer, etc!

So I am just curious what all of you shooting the 270wsm are shooting?

A little will depend on your twist rate, the 165 Matrix is probably in my top five favorite bullet especially on elk, the 170 Berger is impressive as well, uses the same throating and runs very clos in velocity with very close loads to the 165 Matrix. I've flattened elk from inside 100 to over 900 with the Matrix and not too many with the 170 Berger, buddy wacked a bull the other day at 85 yards in the middle of the lungs and it dropped him and never twitched, lots of white tails too!!

If I was going to a long range school I would load up the 170gr Bergers and go have fun. But there are some qualifiers. Do you have a brake on your rifle? How far are most of the shots. If they are mostly under 600 then I might load the 150 class bullets to reduce recoil. How heavy is your rifle? What twist do you have? How long is your barrel? The 170 Bergers are great but require a 1/8 twist and a long mag box if that comes into play. Have Fun.

The rifle is approximately 9#'s, 1 in 8 twist 26" pacnor sendero contour, no brake!

The matrix bullets are seated to fit the mag length and seam to shoot very well, moa or better depending on me!

Thank you for the reply's

I've been using the 170 gr. Berger with results I expect from their bullets. I'm running these over a full case of Retumbo which responds very consistently over a 1,000 yards range.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.