270wsm vs 7 rem mag

The 'idea' from the OP was to compare the 'max' velocity of the .270 WSM with the 150gr ABLR to the 'max' velocity of the 7mm RM with the 175gr ABLR. I went to the Nosler reloading data, picked the highest velocity (max load) posted for each and posted those numbers (velocity achieved, powder used, and grains used.) I did not "pick" RL22 - Nosler did. It posted the fastest velocity in the powders they tested with that bullet, at a safe pressure.
I shoot tons of Nosler bullets, and have their manuals, but they sandbag a lot of data... Just saying.

There is a .006 BC difference between the 270 170 gr EOL and the 180 HVLD in the 7mm, both bullets are my favorite for on game function in each cal, the 270 WSM built for them will run them 3050-3100 fps, the 7 Mags I've set up will run the 180 in the 2950 range, the 7mm-300 Win will run them 3100 fps, both with the best powders and brass. There is literally no difference between them unless you start changing up bullets or have a stupid fast barrel in one and slow in the other, it's 6 one half dozen the other. If your a 270 guy I'd rock that, I am and just have better times with the 270 VS my 7 mag, 7-mm300 or 28 Nosler, I'll do the same thing with a 270 and it makes me happier!!
But compare the 180 Hybrid or 195 Elite Hunter... Heavy for heavy...

Despite me being a 7mm guy, and you liking the .277, for the first time in a long time we're on the same page.

But compare the 180 Hybrid or 195 Elite Hunter... Heavy for heavy...

Despite me being a 7mm guy, and you liking the .277, for the first time in a long time we're on the same page.

The reason for the 180 HVLD is I like what I see more when I open up game in the 7mm, actually in the 7 mag the 175 EOL maybe the sweet spot, I've seen a lot of 7 mags struggle to run the 180s and going to the 175 was magic!!

The reason for the 180 HVLD is I like what I see more when I open up game in the 7mm, actually in the 7 mag the 175 EOL maybe the sweet spot, I've seen a lot of 7 mags struggle to run the 180s and going to the 175 was magic!!
I can attest to the terminal effectiveness of the 175 EOL. Using them in a 28 Nosler last year was no joke.
4 for 4 one shot kills...DRT.

May I ask why you say 7mm mags struggle with 180s? A 180 7mm at over 3000fps is no slouch. Just curious as to what your reasoning is. Just poor bullet performance?

I am curious as to why he said that also. I don't have an issue pushing them over 3K. Current load is 3149. I've pushed them all the way up to 3225 in this current barrel. I am not sure why people think that the rem mag can't push the 180s fast enough. Are they scared to try them? If you use the right combination of components it isn't hard.

I am curious as to why he said that also. I don't have an issue pushing them over 3K. Current load is 3149. I've pushed them all the way up to 3225 in this current barrel. I am not sure why people think that the rem mag can't push the 180s fast enough. Are they scared to try them? If you use the right combination of components it isn't hard.
Those loads sound alittle on the warm side. I think 3000-3050 is achievable, but 3150-3200 is 28nosler territory

Those loads sound alittle on the warm side. I think 3000-3050 is achievable, but 3150-3200 is 28nosler territory

It is on the warm side but no pressure signs. I started to get heavy bolt lift at 3223 so I stopped there. I am sure I could run it a touch faster but will run into more pressure issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.