270WSM Handloads

If this is a hunting rifle which I assume it is, I would suggest you give the Hammer HHT bullets a go. I've solved many accuracy issues by switching to them. The upside potential is huge, and I have yet to have them not shoot as good as other bullets in the same rifle. I would drop down into the 120-130 class bullets of this brand and type. You won't regret it.

We shoot Magpro with 140gr bullets and a 215M primer. Loaded in Bertram prepped brass. Both shoot well. Most magnums take a little more tuning than smaller capacity cartridges. Sometimes WSM's shoot better with a regular primer instead of mag. No real idea why. I would try both. My most accurate loads in both the 7MM and 300 have been with Winchester primers, but haven't seen any available in several years. You just have to try what you can find. Magpro in a very good powder in the 270. Most of them will also shoot 130 gr bullets very well. Play with the jump too. there is a sweet spot in there somewhere. Hornady factory loads will usually shoot under a minute in a good gun.

I just ordered a box of Berger 150 gr VLD BULLETS to try in the 270WSM. I'm not committed to any brand. I would like to stay in the 130 to 150 gr weight range. Thank you.
I shoot the old Hornady 150 spire points and Berger 150 .....not one holers...but generally .250 at 100 and 1/2 moa at 300.
56.5 grs H4350
COAL 2.75
2980 fps
Just me! Hope it helps!

Last edited:
What brass are you using? I settled on Nosler brass for my 270 WSM. I had the same struggles getting the Bergers to shot in mine. For 150 class bullets my rifle liked the Accubond Long Range. RL23 with 215M.
For the lighter weight bullets I shoot the hammer hunters. Same powder and primers.
If you're set on the 150 Bergers I'd give the H1000 or the 7828 a try.

My "Pet" .270 WSM Load that's, Sub 3/4 MOA ( 5 shot, group's ) in, my 1-10 Twist, 24" Tikka SS T-3 is,..
65.7 grs of, IMR 7828, F-215 M pr., 140 gr. Classic Hunter Berger ( Litz designed, W/ .528 BC ) "Jumped" .105 at, 3,173 ave. FPS.
This bullet was designed for Magazine length and, the larger "Jumps" to throat and is fairly easy, to Tune.
Work up, the Powder charge, in YOUR Rifle, starting at, a couple of grains, LESS powder and, watch Pressure ! Past, 66 grains, I got Ejector Marks, sticky Bolt lift and, the Groups, opened up ! It's an awesome, Elk "Killer" Bullet / load,.. Good Luck !

Last edited:
Trying to get, Berger VLD-s to shoot, can be, exhausting and Tricky,.. in some, Rifles.
They shoot very good, in the shorter throated, "Match" chambers with, little to No,.. "Jump" or, Jammed and with, larger "Jumps" of, .050, .090, .130 in the longer throated, chambers.
Read up on Bergers VLD, Bullet seating Info about, "Tuning" them. Good luck !
The Berger Classic Hunters shoot very "Well" and easy to tune in,.. 6 MM, 6.5 MM and .270 WSM for Me and, Our Family

Last edited:
Hi Buddy, I shoot a .270 Win and a 270 Weatherby Mag. I like to think the 270 WSM is a member of the same family. I use IMR 4350 and H 4831SC in both . depending on bullet weights. I could not be without those two powders and Win LR Primers. Yes, they are old school powders and not very sexy or tactical. For me they are great stable powders for either of those two cartridges even when the hunting is in cold weather. Example : My favorite 270 Win. Deer load, 59.5 grns H 4831SC , in matched Win cases, with Win LR primers , 130 Grn Nosler Ballistic tips. 3017 to 3028 fps. Lab radar . I just use 3000 fps for the math. Rifle is a 14 or 15 year old 6 Lug Weatherby Mark V Ultralight , 24 inch S/S Krieger barrel from the factory. Rifle can often make 3 bullet holes touch at 100 yards, with that load, if allowed to cool enough !!

IMG_1332.jpeg
IMG_1333.jpeg
I didn't know Gunwerks built custom rifles using Howa 1500 actions. Interesting. Here's a load using the 150 Bergers in a Weatherby Vanguard 270WSM. Work up. 3 shots one ragged hole. Actually 2 different loads listed and both shot very well.

Last edited: