Berger Bullets adds handload update sheets for 338s + Litz article

Velocities seem a little slow on some of them, especially the Edge. On the 300 grain, the max powder listing they have is almost 6 grains lower then I've read that most people are using for H1000.

What are your thoughts on this?

I have to agree, I have a 338-378, And I see 3080 fps with the 300gr. with no preasurer at all of course I have a 36inch barrel but his speeds seem very low. I also use 50 bmg powder!

Well on the edge info they are 4 inches shorter than my barrel and way shorter on the COAL. The speeds are a lot slower and a lot less powder. I figure it is cause of how far the bullet is seated and the shorter barrel. Was really supprised at the max powder charge for H1000 being so low.

I've noticed that all Berger reloading data is way slower than what most people find their rifles are capable of. I believe I remember reading in the fine print that Berger data is computer derived. More than likely, they dropped the max charges back to be "safe in every gun" and let gun owners bump up over max as they please.

I found something interesting a few nights ago when searching through some load data for my 300 RUM. The newest Nosler reloading manual shows different "max loads" for 180 accubond than the previous nosler manual. From what I can remember, the max loads vary 3-4 grains, with the newest manual being more conservative.

A larger safety factor?

I am thoroughly disappointed in this installment. I bought manual online looking data on the LM and wow that hurt when I got to the last cartridge and found no .338's.
They have the h1000 max load at 104%......???? I still hear powder shaking in the brass at that point.
Love their products and the minds that come up with em except for the foray into load manuals.

I guess every rifle is different, maybe I have a tight chamber, but I am shooting 89 grains of retumbo in multiple fired cases 32 thousands off in a 30" barrel with 300 bergers at 2775fps. Accuracy has been amazing, my last 3 shot group at 890 yards measured 1.73". This is at 1170ft altitude. It has been holding at or under .25moa at multiple ranges to 1000 yards.
Bob

Berger bullets will not work in the factory 338-378 Weatherby! I have loaded all of the great 338 bullets in several Mark 5 and accumarks and they do not shoot groups. This is not the fault of BERGER. The Weatherby rifles are freebored and the soft jacket just does not work with the freebore. So take all reload data for this bullet and apply it to the Hornady GMX, Barnes ttsx and LRX, and accubond. For those of you shooting the Weatherby the 300 gr accubond seated to 3.86 coal stoked with 113 gr of H570 vita vouri powder will surpass 3100 ( checked on 2 chronos) but it is a compressed load that upon pressing the bullet in distorts the ogive of the bullet. If you go the Barnes 280 gr LRX and work your load up accordingly to the approximate given load as stated above you can run a little over 3100 with H570. You must use Win MAG primer NOT FED 215. If you prefer the 265 gr use rl 25 and work up to approx 112 gr. You should be about 3230 fps. 26 in barrels. I specialize in Accurizing Weatherby rifles and action and there is no better thumper for a FACTORY cartridge tan the 338-378 Weatherby. I have built several of these rifles for customers and highly recommend Berger bullets so please dont take me wrong stating Bergers are bad. They just like to be touching the lands or into them a little and a very tight neck. There max load data is just like any other. A starting point for most!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.