270Win

Roy In Idaho Is Right About The 140 Hornady Btsp. I Load Mine With 56.5 Grains Of Imr 7828 And Have Made One Shot Kills On A Moose, A Caribou, 2 Elk, And Numerous Mule Deer, Antelope And Whitetails, Along With Everything Else I Point It At. I Am Extremely Impressed With These Bullets. Longest Shot Was One Of The Caribou At 515 Yards Longest Death Run On Any Animal Shot With These Was 75 Yards.

I think you just sold me on the 270 for all my hunting.

Silvertip, I Have Been Sold On This Bullet/powder Combo Since Back In The 80's And Have Used It Ever Since. I Have Been Laughed At All Over Colorado, Wyoming, And Idaho ,and Almost Railroaded Out Of Alaska By My Bush Pilot,,,, But Guess Who Had The Last Laugh, Ha-ha. I Was Sceptical About How Well It Would Work On The Moose Though, But I Made A 225 Yard Shot , He Ran About 35 Yards And Piled Up. Got My Bullet Back From Between The Meat And Skin On The Opposite Side. Shot Placement Is Everything, Was A Double Lunger, If He Cant Breath He Cant Live. Most Every Deer Sized Animals "usually" Drop In Their Tracks. Give'em A Try I Hope You Like, I Sure Do.

I gotta figger out a scope for this 270. I wanna keep it light. Am looking at a Leu 2-7x33 with BDC that I seen in Cabelas. Then again maybe just a straight 6x is good for everything western.

The .270 Win is a great caliber. I have used one for 30 years, and it has always performed well, provided I do my part. But you can say that about any caliber. A .460 Weatherby isn't enough gun if the shooter can't hit his target. :)

My Dad always used a .270 Win for elk hunting here in Colorado. The first year he went with some guys from his work, they just about ran him out of camp for not having "enough" gun. After four elk in the first six years, with no lost animals, they finally shut their pieholes.

Another nice thing about the .270 is the fact you can load 'er up with 90 gr. Sierra HP's and turn prairie dogs inside out out to substantial ranges.
Now granted the .270 wouldn't be my first choice for a varmint rifle, but for a guy who wants one gun for everything in the CONUS, I can think of a lot worse choices than the .270.

I gotta figger out a scope for this 270. I wanna keep it light. Am looking at a Leu 2-7x33 with BDC that I seen in Cabelas. Then again maybe just a straight 6x is good for everything western.

Nowadays, hunters are going for higher power scopes. I've shot game with my .270 for over 35 yrs, and it currently wears a Bushnell 4200 2.5-10X (and I wouldn't mind a 4-16X). The option to use the higher power comes in real handy if you get a long shot from a steady rest.

The Bushnell 3200 and 4200 scopes are very well thought of by experienced riflemen.

I just returned from an Antelope hunt & I used a 270. We took 3 Antelope bucks & 3 Mule Deer with the 140 Accubond & the performance left little to be desired. The BC of that bullet is high & the accuracy was incredible, good as I could hope for with a Match bullet. Just another thought.

I hunted many years with a 270 (Rem M700 BDL) and a Loopy VXII 3x9. My deer load was a Sierra 130gr SPBT. I have had nothing but outstanding success with that classic load at 3000 fps.

Then came the trap shooting bug and I sold that rifle (and a couple others) so I could purchase a medium grade O/U doubles shotgun. - STUPID MOVE!!!!

The empty spot in my vault where that 270 once was, screamed at me.

This past year for my "to me - from me - thank me very much" Christmas gift, I purchased a Tikka T-3 Lite Stainless in 270 WCF. It is a lights out 1/4 moa shooter. I used a 20x target scope to develope the new handload.

This time for hunting purposes I chose to scope the T-3 with a Loopy VX1 2x7. It has a couple dots that are spaced 2 moa (at 7 power) down from the horizontal cross hair on the vertical duplex wire. This makes for a very handy re-zero for 300 & 400 yds according to my ballistics program with a 2 inch high zero at 100 yds.

You will notice the lesser quality of the VX-1 glass, but it is good enough for what I need. :rolleyes:

My dark timber elk load is a 160 Nosler Semi-Spitzer @ 2700 fps.

Later, Don

silver, a loopy 4x12 is the same size and weight as a loopy 3x9x40, its got AO and can be had with targets turrets which move POI .192 MOA per click.
My farthest deer kill with a 270 win was 606 yards, I was young, I got lucky, but it lit a fire in me that I hope never goes out.
RR

Chopaka, what powder are you using behind the 160gr Nosler?
I've only loaded 150 gr Sierra game king. The accuracy is acceptable @ .625 to .75 for two 3 shot groups.
Will hunt it next month in north MO for the first time.

2x7x33 dont underscope it! Minium 3x9 Youll regret 7X when you need 9X and when you dont just turn it down a bit. I had a 2x7 on an -06 hated it when I wanted strech a lil.

I'll keep that in mind about the 2-7, I was just noticing they were lighter than a 3-9. I was surfingthe Hornady site and got comparison ballistics for 270win light mag ammo vs my 7mmRemMag heavymag ammo. Except for the energy at 200-300-400-500 yrds there aint a lot of diff inthe flight paths. And my 270 is wayyy lighter than my 7RemMag. I bought a case of 270 btsp ammo from Cabelas, I guess after the season I'll work onthe 270 and fine tune it in or put my new Nikon 3-9x40BDC scope on it(currently on my 7mag). I guess what I seek is a lighter rifle for slugging around these hills.

I decided to do the right thing and give the 270 to my oldest daughter who elk hunts with me. I'm going to get the lop cut to her size and she can enjoy the rifle.

I guess lighter aint everything. I slugged around an old 264Win for about 20 yrs, and now am totally happy with this Win Mod 70 7RemMag I bought. Meanwhile I stuck a 4-12x40AO on it this morn, I just like the gun too much to use any other for western big game hunting.

not really sure what you mean by too much scope for the gun. The power of scope is strictly personal prefrance. 3-4 power isn't a very big jump, but it is a step. I had a 5.5-16.5 on a 30-06 for years, liked it but it would cause problems at ranges less than 50 yards.

I agree on the prefernce area since I run a 8x32x56 with 30mm tube! i love this scope for long ranges and sage rats out to 400yards. The nice thing of prefernces is it allows us all to be differnt and learn from others.

I have the same gun with the same scope on it . i have taken deer a 350yards with it . shooting a winchester 150 gr power points. I thank a 4-12- power scope is perfet for hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.