Tikka 270win to magnum

ofl0926

Hello everyone. I was doing some research and the info is very limited on this. I've been think of doing a custom build off a tikka t3 in the near future. Currently its chambered in 270 win. I was thinking building a 28 nosler with it. What is everyone input on this?

Bolt face is different and a 28 Nosler won't fit very well in a 3.4" tikka magazine.
If ur wanting 7mm, I'd do a 280ai on that action.
A 6.5x284 would also be nice on a tikka

So with it currently chambered in 270win, what there need to be anything done for it to be chambered in 280ai?
This will be and elk/deer rifle

Bolt face is different and a 28 Nosler won't fit very well in a 3.4" tikka magazine.
If ur wanting 7mm, I'd do a 280ai on that action.
A 6.5x284 would also be nice on a tikka

Straight 284 Win would be my choice on a Tikka or Kimber 'long' action. This allows room to seat the heavies out where they are not consuming valuable case capacity.

300WSM works well in that action length as well, but you would need to have someone open up the bolt face.

@ofl0926 - if you are hot on a 28nos, I would recommend selling the Tikka and purchasing anRem 700 long action with Magnum bolt face.

So with it currently chambered in 270win, what there need to be anything done for it to be chambered in 280ai?
This will be and elk/deer rifle

Leave it alone, you won't kill elk any better with a .280 AI. I'd just spend the money you were going to spend on customizing your Tikka on ammo. Spend a lot of trigger time while you wait to get your elk tag. Trust me you'll be money ahead in the long run.

Straight 284 Win would be my choice on a Tikka or Kimber 'long' action. This allows room to seat the heavies out where they are not consuming valuable case capacity.

300WSM works well in that action length as well, but you would need to have someone open up the bolt face.

@ofl0926 - if you are hot on a 28nos, I would recommend selling the Tikka and purchasing anRem 700 long action with Magnum bolt face.
Yeah a 284 would also be a good option.

I never considered the 284win. ill do some research on it.
as far as the 300wsm goes... will it be worth it or something unnecessary/unsafe and to stick with the original bolt face?

I never considered the 284win. ill do some research on it.
as far as the 300wsm goes... will it be worth it or something unnecessary/unsafe and to stick with the original bolt face?

284 Win won't be a real improvement over your .270 Win. It's a good round, but it won't be any more effective on elk than what you already have. It only looks good on paper, real world performance you will not see a difference.

If you go to a WSM cartridge just buy a Tikka chambered as such. It'll save you money as you since you can buy a whole rifle for $700. More importantly it will save you a lot of wait time, waiting on barrels and waiting on your Smith to finish the rebarrel and bolt face work.

I would go with a 280 AI, all you will need is a rebarrel.

A 280AI does not perform like the 270 on Elk, it is a far better cartridge that is more likely to cause hydrostatic shock and a wider wound channel that kills faster. you get magnum performance from a non magnum cartridge and it almost matches a 7mm Rem Mag, there is a wide variety of bullets typea and weights and is also far better than a 284 Win.

You can shoot deer and elk up to 700 yards with the 280 AI, cant with a 270 or 284 Win or many other cartridges. Ammo is available and you can also reload.

If you decide to change the bolt face to a magnum, then a 7mm Rem Mag would be great, or if you want a short magnum go with a 7mm SAUM, 7mm Short Sherman Or Sherman Max.

Hello everyone. I was doing some research and the info is very limited on this. I've been think of doing a custom build off a tikka t3 in the near future. Currently its chambered in 270 win. I was thinking building a 28 nosler with it. What is everyone input on this?
As others have said the Tikka actions aren't ideal with true LA cartridges loaded with long bullets.
A 284 will not give you any benefit over a 270 win.

If you want to step it up I'm sure you could sell or trade your 270 for a Tikka with a magnums bolt face.
7 saum or 7 wsm is what I'd do, throat it for 180's @ 3.1" OAL
My 7 wsm throated long shoots 180's at 3000 fps, and 195's at 2900

I couldn't see where you mention an intended end use. Change is fun, I like change but with better bullets the .270 will do most of what is asked of a hunting rifle, change just for change sake I'd sell it and get some thing closer to what I wanted.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.