Scope-Range finder suggestions-270win- 500 yard shot

kevin2

We have a new location to hunt on a private farm in Michigan, and there are locations where we can get shots up to about 700 yards. Now, I have purchased a 270 gun so that we have the proper starting point to take longer shots. I don't think we'd try to go 700 yards, but 4-500 would be a possibility.

OUr set up last year was a Nikon 4-12x40 Prostaff scope, which I liked because of the Spot ON technology. However, our range finder failed us when we finally had a deer out there to take a shot at.

We had it set up for my daughter, she's 18 and a pretty good shot, with Hornady Custom Lite 120gr SST & I had it set up just prior to her last hunt with Hornady 270 Win 130 gr SST Superformance

So, I was considering getting a better range finder to start & then was looking at a better scope.

I looked at the Burris Eliminator III 4-16x50 Laser Scope because it appears to address both of our issues. We've only got a place to practice out to 250 yards, so I felt if we got this scope performing at 100 & then out to 250, then I'd feel comfortable shooting out to 400+yards once in the field.

However, I'm not sold on this scope, even though it appears to get great reviews.

Looking for some help on a scope & range finder. Any input would help

I'd get the Burris Eliminator III. It has decent optics and takes into account your cartridge ballistics and angle (up or down) as well as your zero distance (such as 100, 200 or 300 yards). You program the cartridge and zero variables into the scope.
Plus the reticle in the Elimintor III has a "Christmas tree" pattern of dots for windage holds and fast, accurate second shot follow-up corrections if you saw where your first shot hit. I can't stress enough the value of a reticle like this. This is a very advanced scope and worth the money.

I would strongly advise against any of the several Bullet Drop Compensating (BDC) reticles on the market. Nikon, Burris and many others make these. Their reticles are set for a specific bullet weight, altitude (usually sea level) air temperature, humidity and zero distance. Because of these restrictions beyond 300 yards they begin to lie to you.

->If you decide on a separate scope and rangefinder get a scope with a mil reticle and mil turret adjustments, known as a "mil-mil" system. NEVER buy a scope with a Mil-MOA setup. My recommendation for a riflescope (other than the Eliminator III) is one with a Horus TREMOR reticle. I helps a lot with instant windage adjustments in that you use your reticle, not the turrets, to adjust for windage (once the scope has been zeroed). Horus and Bushnell offer scopes with this reticle. Go to Horus' website to see this reticle and an explanation. As mentioned above, the Eliminator III already has a similar reticle and you will love it once you understand how to use it. If you go to the Horus website they have a video that demonstrates how to use their H-59 reticle. These instructions work exactly the same for the Eliminator III reticle.

->My rangefinder is a Bushnell 1 Mile ARC binocular laser rangefinder 10 X 42 binocular with ballistic compensation, angle compensation and zero distance compensation. All I need to do is adjust for wind and altitude (above 2,000 ft.) This combines a rangefinder with a good binocular so I have less to carry. Bushnell's rangefinders are extremely accurate and have rifle and bow mode and also brush and target modes, in case you have to range through brush.

I hope this helps you make a decision. The Eliminator III is likely the least expensive choice.

The Burris Eliminator III might be a good choice. I have a friend who has one, but I have not had the opportunity to try it yet so I can't really comment. I think another strong option would be a Leica 1200 and a Swarovski Z3. If you don't intend on shooting past 500 yards I think this combination would be really hard to beat. The rangefinder will range father than you desire and the Z3 is a very good scope for 1k, IMO.

The Z3 has very good optics and high quality components but it still has a BDC reticle. As I mentioned above, these reticles are limited in the distance they can give reliable shots.

The OP asked for scopes good to and beyond 400 yards/meters.

Kevin, first of all welcome to the forum. Forum members can accurately reply if you could list your price range for the 2 instruments. The range is astronomically varied from minimum to maximum. Rangefinders up to $1700+ and scopes $2500+.

The Z3 has very good optics and high quality components but it still has a BDC reticle. As I mentioned above, these reticles are limited in the distance they can give reliable shots.

The OP asked for scopes good to and beyond 400 yards/meters.

I have a Z3 on a .280 and can holdover and hit to 500 yards. That however IS the limit with that particular set up. I know a .270 and a .280 aren't identical, but with a little practice it is very manageable to do. You might have to have "zero" at an odd distance like 225 yards, but that isn't really a big deal...to me anyways. You shouldn't need a ballistic reticle to get to 300 yards with a medium game cartridge and I don't feel that ballistic reticles are limited to that distance. At least not from what I've experienced.

I'm thinking $1500 tops for everything. I was thinking that was a lot, but I'm seeing it is not!

Kevin, first of all welcome to the forum. Forum members can accurately reply if you could list your price range for the 2 instruments. The range is astronomically varied from minimum to maximum. Rangefinders up to $1700+ and scopes $2500+.

Using Nikon's SpotOn technology as well as an ACCURATE muzzle velocity from YOUR rifle (and not the one printed on the box of ammo) you can hit out to 500 yards. You will need to print out the proper card with the power and distances to match, or buy SpotOn to have on your phone. Most important you will have to practice and verify that it works using your rifle. Test it at 300/400/500 yards and verify that the circles of your reticle match what Nikon tells you they should be.

I've shot to 400+ with a BDC reticle practicing on steel targets, and my Dad has shot 500+ and 800+ (yes, really) to take an antelope. Note - I would not do that without a lot of practice first.

What rifle did you buy? Have you shot it yet?
Where in Michigan are you?

An accurate range finder and lots of practice are you friends here.
Leica 1600B comes to mind.

Seems like the Burris III would be best deal & seems to be a great functional all in one idea. Might have to go with it. Gonna do some more research on it & see where it leads me

Dr V, I'm just south of Detroit in Brownstown Michigan.. I'm on my 2nd M77, have a weakness for them I guess. I'm sure I could/should get another gun, but this will have to do for this season

Dr V, I'm just south of Detroit in Brownstown Michigan.. I'm on my 2nd M77, have a weakness for them I guess. I'm sure I could/should get another gun, but this will have to do for this season

I don't know that you have to get another rifle or another scope if this rifle is accurate and consistent. Only you can determine that part.

Seems like the Burris III would be best deal & seems to be a great functional all in one idea. Might have to go with it. Gonna do some more research on it & see where it leads me

Check the rules and regulations where you're going to use/hunt. Some states, like mine is only legal for varminting only (at least about 2 years ago, when I was checking into your similar situation). It was not clearly noted on the regulations so I asked the FWP LE side for clarification.

Good luck!

Thanks Feenix, I'll do that.

Check the rules and regulations where you're going to use/hunt. Some states, like mine is only legal for varminting only (at least about 2 years ago, when I was checking into your similar situation). It was not clearly noted on the regulations so I asked the FWP LE side for clarification.

Good luck!

I was considering this too...but what is the warranty on these? What concerns me is that what happens when one day the electronics part of the scope craps out? Now you have a very expensive scope with OK but not excellent glass. Most scopes have a lifetime warranty but do these? If not, id probably go and grab a more expensive scope and a mid level range finder since you will only be ranging to 500 yards. MANY range finders these days will range a deer sized animal at that range no problem. Check out the higher end ($400ish) bushnells and leupolds. This would allow you to buy a 1000$ scope that has excellent glass that will last a lifetime and still be in your budget. The leica are really nice and expensive and worth it if ranging 700 yards etc...but my bushnell G-force arc and my buddies leupold rf1000tbr have zero issues ranging deer to your distances. This will be my 3rd year on my bushnell.

Also one last concern...even if the electronics never fail...they will eventually become dated but you will never be able to "upgrade" them with out replacing the whole scope. However, scope glass does not really become dated. Techniques come out to make clear glass cheaper, but clear glass...is clear glass. So buying a nice clear scope now...will still be a nice clear scope 30 years from now. The 400 dollar range finder you buy now...will last, at least a few years, and then as electronics improve along with your budget...you can buy another range finder that will range further and do more...etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.