270 WSM bullet selection

nksmfamjp

Tikka 270 WSM with a 10 twist….mag length rounds; Antelope, deer and elk with one load; 500 yards max, but reality is 350 yards or less; experienced hunter, but I don't think he has taken a shot over 300 yds on game in 25 years….

What bullet is your ideal selection?

If it had to be a mono (for a cheapskate) what would you choose then?

Im trying to help out my dad a bit and modernize his loadout!

I'm using 140 gr. Classic hunter Bergers at, 3,185 FPS ( Sub, 3/4 MOA ) and STILL going OVER, 2,000 FPS at, 800 Yards ( @ 5,500 Ft. Elev )
Bullet punched thru, both Shoulders and Hides of, a Bull Elk at, 115 yards, Ka'Pow,. Hooves, in the Air !
Tikka T-3, W/ 1-10 Twist @ Magazine Length COAL, using, 65.7 grs, IMR 7828 and F-215's
Best, Elk "Killer", Cartridge / Bullet, "Combo", I've found, .. since selling, my .338 Win Mag. !
Next best, Bullet,..( IMO ) would be, the 145 gr. ELD-X.

Last edited:
If you want mono, I'm running the badlands precision BD2 128gr. It has the best BC for coppers I've seen. (for 1-10 twist). It is very long, so COAL will be right up against the factory mag. At least on my gun they seem to like a good jump though, and I have them loaded far enough off the lands they fit the factory mag even though I have a long action mag. That's (one of) the great part about Tikkas, with a new bolt stop (40$) and a new mag you have a long action.
If you're not as worried about long range and good BCs I'm sure someone will recommend the hammers (never tried them, so can't say).
Barnes LRXs would be the name brand to go for, but good luck finding them.

Last edited:
I had good luck with 270WSM trophy copper by Federal. Similar solid copper bullets should be available for reloading.

Attachments

• 5909EA6B-2A89-4911-A816-F321B59A44FE.jpeg
    5909EA6B-2A89-4911-A816-F321B59A44FE.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 43
I'm using 140 gr. Classic hunter Bergers at, 3,185 FPS ( Sub, 3/4 MOA ) and STILL going OVER, 2,000 FPS at, 800 Yards ( @ 5,500 Ft. Elev )
Bullet punched thru, both Shoulders and Hides of, a Bull Elk at, 115 yards, Ka'Pow,. Hooves, in the Air !
Tikka T-3, W/ 1-10 Twist @ Magazine Length COAL, using, 65.7 grs, IMR 7828 and F-215's
Best, Elk "Killer", Cartridge / Bullet, "Combo", I've found, .. since selling, my .338 Win Mag. !
Next best, Bullet,..( IMO ) would be, the 145 gr. ELD-X.
I just bought some 140 gr Bergers to try since you like them so much!

I shoot a 270 Win at about 3050 fps with a 130 Grn Nosler Ballistic Tip, , and a 270 Weatherby Mag at about 3370 fps. with the same bullet . Your .270 WSM is right in between those velocities, with a bullet of that weight. My Personal Choice for White Tail or Mule deer or Antelope, is the 130 Grn. Nosler Ballistic Tip. Extremely explosive on the last 9 deer I have taken. Only one needed a second shot because I rean to him much to soon. No Tracking needed, No exit hole ever. Lungs completely destroyed. No bullet to take out of the hide on the other side. All small Fragments . I should point out I take great care to never hit the shoulder. This year, I am going to try the Nosler 150 Grn. Accubond LR, because I will hunting Whitetail, in a bean field where a 500 to 550 Yard shot is possible. I chose that bullet because of the High advertised BC. I would also use it for elk in .270 Weatherby Mag. Since both my rifles have a 10 twist, that's as long and heavy a bullet I would try. Just my humble opinion. Good luck buddy!!!

I have shot and hunted with the 140 Nosler Accubonds for a number of years.My load has taken deer and it would be good for elk but i have never had the opportunity to take one.i am now working up loads with Barnes LRX 129 grs that would be good for both. My Model 70 Winchester shoots 140 TTSXs and 150 Bergers very well so the options are many.

Recent Posts