270 wsm bergers

lightflight

I'm Loading for Berger 150 VLDs in my 270wsm Weatherby Vanguard.

I'm using the cleaning rod method to get my coal to the lands and its coming out to be 2.810". This was much shorter than what I thought it would be. seams like most others are around 2.860" give or take.

Does my Tube just have a short throat?

The cleaning rod method

I prefer to use a 3/16 brass rod 3 feet long from the local NAPA dealer.
Another way is to take a cleaning rod jag and grind the point off so it is flat and then use the cleaning rod.

I use Possum Hollow plastic cleaning rod stops (two)

Place both stops on the rod loosely so they will slide with some pressure.

Close the bolt on an empty chamber. Push the rod into the muzzle until it stops on the bolt face. Slide both stops to the muzzle. Tighten the one furthest from the muzzle.

Open the bolt and push a bullet into the lands. Hold the bullet there with a piece of wood dowel or even a pencil if you are using larger bullets. I use a section of a broken fishing rod.

With the bullet held into the lands push the rod until it contacts the tip of the bullet. Tighten the other cleaning rod stop.

The loaded cartridge should fit between the cleaning rod stops.

I like to take my brass rod to the range to remove problem bullets and cartridges both mine and everyone elses. I had a guy ask to barrow my cleaning rod to remove a stuck cartridge last time in a TC Contender. Not a good plan if you value your rod threads.

I have used the 140gr Bergers in 270 WSM and consider them a go to bullet. I never found the velocity with 150 gr bullets to compete with a maximum load of MagPro. I could get 3400 fps from a 28 inch barrel in my 1885 Highwall (Miroku Mfg).

What is your powder, primer combination?

Do you have a 1 in 10 twist?

I have been considering the 140gr hunting vld. Does anyone have any experience on deer sized game with this bullet. I haVe found plenty of info on .30 cal and 7mmbut not much at all on the .277.

Please Explain

once I got to 58.5 gr of reloader 19 my velocity increase seemed to taper off. no signs of pressure. Is there any explanation for this.

bergervldspeed_zps44b1961f.jpg

Reloader 19 is way too fast of powder for this application (heavy bullets in .270 WSM). Why would you choose Reloader 19 except for 90 to 110 gr bullets?

Reloader 19 is way too fast of powder for this application (heavy bullets in .270 WSM). Why would you choose Reloader 19 except for 90 to 110 gr bullets?

I've had good results with R19 and 130gr pills...
So are you suggesting something like R22 or magpro?
Are you suggesting the speed tapered off towards the top because the powder is 'too fast'?

I would like to hear more on this topic as I was thinking about getting one in this size as it surposed to be very flat shooting

John

Mildot:

I found that the 10 twist factory barrel will do a great job with the 140 Bergers and Accubonds. The .270 AB has a slightly better BC than even the 130 6.5 bullet.
With Norma Cases sized with bushing dies .307 and a Wilson seater you will be very pleased. I found that MagPro was almost a hundred fps faster than any other powder. I tried R-22, VV N-560, 4000MR, Retumbo, W780, IMR 7828, Superperformance Ramshot Magnum. I like Fed 215M to light MagPro. Your barrel will vary, my factory 1885 Highwall had a 28 inch barrel. I got nearly 3400 fps with the 140s.

Hi there, and thankyou for getting back to me, I went on Winchester's web site and saw their ballistic comparison charts on all their WSM serie's and they are truely impressive and I noticed that the .270WSM has the least drop if i have got it right, which has got my mind find so many use's for this Rifle and that bring me to ask would I be right in saying that with differant loads it could be quite a Versatile Rifle,

When you look at the FPS that you are getting up to 3400 do you find that the higher velocity helps or hinders accuracy and would going up to heavier Gr bullets messthings up,

thanks again, John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.