.270 WSM

mkk

I'm going to start loading for my Ruger M77 270 WSM. I currently load for 308, 6.5, 243, 223 30-30. I do have some 270 WSM brass and CCI MAG primers but haven't decided what powder or bullet to shoot. I would like to develop a load that I could use on the bench or on an elk hunt. Any suggestions on where to start with the limited availability of powders

Thanks
Mike

The gun shot the factory 140gr Nosler Accubond bullets moa. All I have left is some Federal 150gr fusions that shoot moa as well. Good idea on the Barnes bullet for hunting, I really like them

The 270 wsm is really an easy cartridge to load up. If you have 4350 4831 H1000, Retumbo, Rldr 17, 19, 23 or 26 or MagPro you can find a good accurate load with 140 or 150 grain bullets. RAMSHOT Magnum and some Viht can also be effective. I have taken a bunch of deer, bear, hogs and elk with 140 grain Accubonds and 150 grain Partition's. For targeting steel or paper look to the 140 Berger or 145 ELD-X. For elk I like the 150 grain Trophy Bonded Tipped or Accubonds. Before I cared about temp sensitivity my favorite load with the 140 Accubonds was 60 grains of Rldr 17. With the 129 LRX try 62ish grains of H4350. 68 grains of Rldr 26 will shoot the 150 TBT at just over 1/2 moa out to 500 yds. For the Bergers I had good success with Retumbo 68 to 70 grains. I use Nosler brass and CCI 250 Mag primers. These were for my rifle and yours will be different so start low and work up. Good luck!

Last edited:
For my wife's elk hunt, I was able to find a good load with 140gr accubonds and Magpro. The 140ab worked great on her elk. I've since changed her over to 124gr hammer hunters with imr 4350. Found a great load with the hammers so she can use it here in CA for deer and out of state for elk (if or when she can draw another tag!).

I've always had great luck with RL17 and RL26 in the 270 wsm.
If you want speed try RL17. I had one that shot the 129 Lrx at 3430 FPS with insane accuracy but I moved away from the LRX due to the tips breaking of in cold temps up in Canada.

I'm going to start loading for my Ruger M77 270 WSM. I currently load for 308, 6.5, 243, 223 30-30. I do have some 270 WSM brass and CCI MAG primers but haven't decided what powder or bullet to shoot. I would like to develop a load that I could use on the bench or on an elk hunt. Any suggestions on where to start with the limited availability of powders

Thanks
Mike
are you satisfied with MOA? It's best to experiment with your rifle and your loads. Most of the time there's nothing generic about it. What powder do you have on hand? Generally speaking heavier bullet slower powder, there are some exceptions. 150 grain bullets will work on Elk, even 130's if you place them right. If shot placement is iffy then passing up that kill would be best, and sure everyone would agree. Can't go wrong with a Nosler Partition. Alot of people frown on cup and core bullets.

Last edited:
If its a factory barrel, then its most likely a 1 in 10 twist. As I hunt with all copper bullets, this limits me to 130 grains in a 10 twist rifle. But that's not a bad thing. I load a 130 Barnes TTSX at 3200 fps using H4831SC with no pressure problems in my buddy's 270 WSM. I've watched him take 3 cow elk with this load and every one was a complete pass through, two full broadside, and one quartering away.

Good Luck

By the way, H4831SC seems to be popping up in its availability these days. Just got 5 lbs yesterday.

If its a factory barrel, then its most likely a 1 in 10 twist. As I hunt with all copper bullets, this limits me to 130 grains in a 10 twist rifle. But that's not a bad thing. I load a 130 Barnes TTSX at 3200 fps using H4831SC with no pressure problems in my buddy's 270 WSM. I've watched him take 3 cow elk with this load and every one was a complete pass through, two full broadside, and one quartering away.

Good Luck

By the way, H4831SC seems to be popping up in its availability these days. Just got 5 lbs yesterday.
for got to mention about barnes, you can drop down a weight or two depending on caliber. So yeah JohnnieB is correct.

I like the mono's in my WSM. If you can find it try RL23. I'm pushing 126 hammer hunters at 3380 fps. You may need to run the 124 HH in that factory ruger though. My rifle liked the 150 ABLR as well. Those may be hard to find though.

I think there's plenty of .277 cal bullets around. Everyone has gone man-bun soy latte and shoot 6.5's. Which is fantastic for us guys with 270's. I can find bullets of every type, everywhere. 150 ablr's are available right now in Shooter Pro Shop.