270 WSM 165gr VLD load help

270 sendero it is a win m70 short action with a #4 28" lilja barrel with a pk brake and the full Kirby touch to it.The stock is a thumb hole laminate pillar bedded and that's about it other than it's a shooter just like all my APS rifles

I have a muz brake from Shawn Carlock and adjustably cheek piece. Still using the beaver tail stock with the aluminum bedding block What scope are you using??

Does Retumbo powder = a lot of recoil/muzzle blast?

Hi all, I've tried many combinations and am getting great results with 165gr but I also getting massive recoil and muzzle blast with 65gr of Retumbo in a 24" barrel 13.5lbs rifle.

I've tried a similar load (case full of Retumbo) in a 20" 243 Win driving a 105gr A-Max and the muzzle blast/recoil is impressive. A very similar load using H4831 showed minimal recoil (almost same muzzle velocity and powder charge).

My question is this:
Does Retumbo (or any slow burning powder) generate a lot of recoil and huge muzzle blast in 20"-24" barrels?

This reminds me of 357 Mag 125gr Win296 full load fire from a 4" barrel!
Alex

Yes, Retumbo will creare a lot of muzzle blast in any short barrel as it is a very slow burning powder. That is why it works so well in long barrels, i.e. more time to burn what's there. Recoil is more noticable as well. The old H-870 was great for this!......Rich

First Post.

I want to make a load using the 165s in a .270win with Alliant RL22. I used RL22 for the 135SMK with good results, and have been looking for a HighBC Heavier .270 for 2 years.

Anyone have a load data on the 165s for a .270 Win?

THANKS! gun)

First Post.

I want to make a load using the 165s in a .270win with Alliant RL22. I used RL22 for the 135SMK with good results, and have been looking for a HighBC Heavier .270 for 2 years.

Anyone have a load data on the 165s for a .270 Win?

THANKS! gun)

You can start by using Nosler 160gr Partition data and cut the start loads by 3gr to be safe. I reload 270 WSM so can't help you more than that.

Alex

Any idea where i can find some online reloading data? I used to have a good resource but I can't seem to find it anymore!

~THANKS!

Any load data updates for the 165 270wsm?

I tested 2 loads:
These loads correspond to Nosler Partion 160gr starting loads minus 3 gr of powder.
  1. startind load of 54gr of H4831
  2. starting load of 62gr of Retumbo
Work your way up carefully!

For the time being, I've abandonned my 270 WSM 165 VLD experiments because of excessive barrel heating and large recoil/blast which is too much for serious F-Class shooting in a 14lb 24" rifle.

Alex

The numbers you use for stability factor, 1-10 twist at 1.49, is the lower number better or the 1-8 twist at 2.33?

270Sender0,

not sure if you got an answer

using the JBM calculator, you want to be in the 1.3-2.0 range for stability factor

anything less is undesirable as it may not stabilize thus accuracy will suffer and more won't help

-- richard

270Sender0,

not sure if you got an answer

using the JBM calculator, you want to be in the 1.3-2.0 range for stability factor

anything less is undesirable as it may not stabilize thus accuracy will suffer and more won't help

-- richard

I checked that in 1-10" 2900fps the 165gr VLD was adequately stable over 15C (59F) at 0ft above sea level. This means that I can't use it for moose hunting in my part North East Canada at this time of the year. (Stability depends on air density which is a function of altitude and temperature - and I live in a cold low spot in North America).

As for the stability factor, even 3 works well for a match bullet but not so great for a cheap millitary FMJ in which case 2 is the maximum value.

Finally, Krieger barrels made a small batch of 0.270" barrels with a 1-8.5 barrel which is optimal for Matrix Ballistics 165gr VLD and 180gr VLD.

Alex

How many shots over what time period do you shoot for F class, I've been thinking about taking some kind of target shooting up but I was thinking about chambering up a 270 win barrel instead of using my 270 WSM.

How many shots over what time period do you shoot for F class, I've been thinking about taking some kind of target shooting up but I was thinking about chambering up a 270 win barrel instead of using my 270 WSM.

The problem is not the number of shot during a match (often 3 x (15 shots + 2 sighters in 17 minutes)) but the fact that I often shot 75 rounds in 1 day and that even at a slow fire rate the barrel gets really hot after 5 shots! Remember that 270WSM accurate, 1/2 MOA or better at long range, barrel life is 750-1000 rounds.

Another larger issue is recoil/blast which degrades my accuracy after 5-10 shots fired from a 13.5lbs rifle. My groups go from 5 shots 1/2 MOA to 5 shots 3/4 - 1 MOA! This never happens with a similar weight 243 Win driving a 105gr VLD at 3000fps or a 223 Rem driving a 73gr VLD at 2900fps.

The F-Open class is a race between 7WSM, 284Win, 300WSM and other 7mm Wildcat magnums (the biggest issues here is performance and barrel life).
The only inexpensive way to shoot F-Class competively is F-TR Class in 223 Rem or 308 Win.

Alex

The problem is not the number of shot during a match (often 3 x (15 shots + 2 sighters in 17 minutes)) but the fact that I often shot 75 rounds in 1 day and that even at a slow fire rate the barrel gets really hot after 5 shots! Remember that 270WSM accurate, 1/2 MOA or better at long range, barrel life is 750-1000 rounds.

Another larger issue is recoil/blast which degrades my accuracy after 5-10 shots fired from a 13.5lbs rifle. My groups go from 5 shots 1/2 MOA to 5 shots 3/4 - 1 MOA! This never happens with a similar weight 243 Win driving a 105gr VLD at 3000fps or a 223 Rem driving a 73gr VLD at 2900fps.

The F-Open class is a race between 7WSM, 284Win, 300WSM and other 7mm Wildcat magnums (the biggest issues here is performance and barrel life).
The only inexpensive way to shoot F-Class competively is F-TR Class in 223 Rem or 308 Win.

Alex

A couple more questions if you don't mind, can you use a muzzle brake and what is the weight limit? I'm finding the idea intriguing!

Alex

Depending on how competitve you want to be...

One of the more cost effective ways to get into F-Class would be to use a Savage 12F in 6.5x284 or 6br. The latter will give you excellent barrel life, but a hair less competitive in the wind.

Then again, it's not much of a dual purpose target/hunting rifle either.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.