270 Win, which bullet weight?

First, check your barrel twist to be sure you can stabilize the bullets you want to try. Then research the terminal ballistics of each and measure that against your philosophy of use (i.e., what are you hunting). If long range shooting/hunting is a concern, research typical velocities of each bullet and mode it in a ballistic computer (BC) like JBM or Hornady 4dof to see which bullet gives you the longest effective range (velocity above the transonic zone - about 1400fps) or less wind drift. Generally, heavy for caliber bullets are more aerodynamic and yield longer effective ranges than lighter faster bullets. Don't concern yourself with bullet drop, that is easily and accurately calculated by any BC. However, during terminal ballistics research, you may find that the bullet with the longest effective range is terminally ineffective at a velocity much higher than the transonic barrier and that extra range is useless to you.

So here's my dilemma, I've got my father's Remington Model 721, chambered in .270 Win, built in 1952. I don't need it for hunting, as I have three other rifles in good calibers that fit all of my hunting needs. I just would like my grandkids to be able to hunt with their great-grandfather's rifle. It's in great shape.

I have worked up a load with Nosler 140 grain Ballistic Tip bullets that group about .700, so that's decent for anything that my family would use it for. I'm thinking about trying a different bullet. I like the ELD-X bullet for a good all around performing bullet on medium sized game, but it only comes in 145 grain in the .277 line.

Should I load the 145 ELDX, get the good performance and give up some speed and flatness, or drop down to 130 grain, get the speed back up, maybe with a Berger Classic Hunter? Or just stay with the 140 grain BT? Thoughts?
How about trying a hammer bullet?

Excellent terminal ballistics info on the 270 win here:

Several other articles on .270 bullets in the knowledgebase as well.
Thanks, I cited Nathan Foster's work on my second post. I never start loading a new bullet without looking at what Foster says about the terminal performance. He probably has more harvests in a busy week than I'll have in my lifetime!

Accuracy and velocity spread are also concerns . For example, if your target size is 5" diameter, a 1moa rifle is limited to about 500yd based solely on accuracy (other factors like wind, vel extreme spread, and shooter ability) may reduce that further. That same rifle with a 1/2moa load doubles it's effective range to 1000yd (actually less than double due the parabolic dispersion pattern caused by aerodynamic drag - the same 1moa group at 100yd is larger than 1moa at 1000yd due solely to deceleration). High extreme velocity spread will also open your tight group at extreme range in the vertical axis.

So here's my dilemma, I've got my father's Remington Model 721, chambered in .270 Win, built in 1952. I don't need it for hunting, as I have three other rifles in good calibers that fit all of my hunting needs. I just would like my grandkids to be able to hunt with their great-grandfather's rifle. It's in great shape.

I have worked up a load with Nosler 140 grain Ballistic Tip bullets that group about .700, so that's decent for anything that my family would use it for. I'm thinking about trying a different bullet. I like the ELD-X bullet for a good all around performing bullet on medium sized game, but it only comes in 145 grain in the .277 line.

Should I load the 145 ELDX, get the good performance and give up some speed and flatness, or drop down to 130 grain, get the speed back up, maybe with a Berger Classic Hunter? Or just stay with the 140 grain BT? Thoughts?
Hornady 150 gr. BTSP! And give up nothing! Well...not nothing...you can give up looking for lost game!

For what it's worth Ive had very good luck with the following in my 10 twist 270. I would think for deer most anything in the 270 would work

130g sierra game King - have a box if you need them
140 berger vld hunting
130 Accubond
If you like coppers I reloaded for a number of 270s and have good luck with both the130 tsx and 129lrx

Lucas

Accuracy and velocity spread are also concerns . For example, if your target size is 5" diameter, a 1moa rifle is limited to about 500yd based solely on accuracy (other factors like wind, vel extreme spread, and shooter ability) may reduce that further. That same rifle with a 1/2moa load doubles it's effective range to 1000yd (actually less than double due the parabolic dispersion pattern caused by aerodynamic drag - the same 1moa group at 100yd is larger than 1moa at 1000yd due solely to deceleration). High extreme velocity spread will also open your tight group at extreme range in the vertical axis.
I try to be meticulous with my hand loading. I did a 10-shot chrono test of Friday for my 280 Ai, and my moa was sub .400, my ES was 20, and my SD was 6.3. My speed wasn't blazing, but I load for accuracy priority. Thanks for the reminders.