Bullet weight variance

Lapuatom

Just finished weighing some .243, 87gr Vmax bullets. I have found that they range from 85.88gr to 87.28gr. . Im using them in a Browning abolt, E R Shaw bbl, nothing special but trying to squeeze as much accuracy out as I can. Thats nearly 1 1/2 gr difference. What should I consider acceptable for targets and varmints? Nothing extreme long range, just looking for some fellow shooters opinions. Thank you in advance for your input.

Quote Reply
Report •••

Is it needed? No. However, I think most of us here are looking to eek out every bit of performance potential we can and getting rid of your duds in a box that are way off + or - in weight is just one more variable you can control.
I weight sort nearly all my bullets outside of some Bergers that are spot on right out of the box more often than not. For everything else, I take the odd ones from either end of the spectrum and use those for plinkers/sighters/foulers and keep the rest sorted into groups that are within .2 or .3 grain spread. If I'm really getting crazy, I'll further sort them by BTO (surprising how far off they can be if you've never checked)...

Is it needed? No. However, I think most of us here are looking to eek out every bit of performance potential we can and getting rid of your duds in a box that are way off + or - in weight is just one more variable you can control.
I weight sort nearly all my bullets outside of some Bergers that are spot on right out of the box more often than not. For everything else, I take the odd ones from either end of the spectrum and use those for plinkers/sighters/foulers and keep the rest sorted into groups that are within .2 or .3 grain spread. If I'm really getting crazy, I'll further sort them by BTO (surprising how far off they can be if you've never checked)...
Being a weight sorter by nature I guess bullets get weighed right along with brass. Like quote I sort them in groups of similar weight and use them. For me its all part of that uniformity thing, keep like weights together especially when shooting groups. As you do it by habit you start to notice the brands that have larger variations, reason I will probably move away from norma brass when what I have is used up. Also reason to watch bullets, it is amazing how far apart some are compared to others, weight difference has to effect the performance of the load. Weight difference effects capacity of brass as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.