270 Win, which bullet weight?

I may have to investigate this further. I've never used hammer bullets.
If you are shooting targets (steel/paper) at extended ranges, yellow, green and red boxes of bullets will outperform Hammers and I still use all three for that purpose. However for hunting and killing deer and elk from point blank to whatever caliber down to 1800fps whatever that range may be, Hammers are right now the best in my opinion with terminal performance.

I was thinking these might work well on a spring black bear hunt I have planned for 2023. I have been shooting 145 eldx out of this gun.

I was thinking these might work well on a spring black bear hunt I have planned for 2023. I have been shooting 145 eldx out of this gun.
You'll be impressed. Personally, I'm a Weatherby nut and have been for 35+ years for whatever reason. Unlike most, I don't push them to their limits and like to find a accuracy node somewhere in the middle of at all possible. As far as terminal performance, and I've posted this a couple of times, on a 550+ lb nilgai in Texas at 480yds with the little117 Hammer Hunter, double shoulder with exit DRT.

So here's my dilemma, I've got my father's Remington Model 721, chambered in .270 Win, built in 1952. I don't need it for hunting, as I have three other rifles in good calibers that fit all of my hunting needs. I just would like my grandkids to be able to hunt with their great-grandfather's rifle. It's in great shape.

I have worked up a load with Nosler 140 grain Ballistic Tip bullets that group about .700, so that's decent for anything that my family would use it for. I'm thinking about trying a different bullet. I like the ELD-X bullet for a good all around performing bullet on medium sized game, but it only comes in 145 grain in the .277 line.

Should I load the 145 ELDX, get the good performance and give up some speed and flatness, or drop down to 130 grain, get the speed back up, maybe with a Berger Classic Hunter? Or just stay with the 140 grain BT? Thoughts?
The 130's are nicer to shoot (less recoil) We mostly use 140 gr AccuBond from Nosler

I considered the Interlock, but Nathan Foster of Ballistic Studies didn't really like the 130 grain Interlock, thought it was too soft at high speeds. That article is old, maybe the 129 grain Interlock is a different construction. Thanks for the input, I'll look into that bullet.
I used a lot of 100 gr interlocks in 243 and never a lost animal or bullet failure

I used a lot of 100 gr interlocks in 243 and never a lost animal or bullet failure
All these above mentioned bullets will kill a deer and probably elk , but the 117 gr hammer bullet will be at your door step in a matter of a few days . If that 721 has a lot of freebore it most likely won't matter because the hammers are not sensitive too jump . You can shoot point blank too whatever 1800 fps impact vel is and shoulder shots are welcomed . The 117 gr hammer will not disappoint, that will be my go too bullet for all my 270 cal rifles . All my 6.5s and 25 cals are shooting hammers . If you start shooting hammers start with a clean bore from all other copper cleaned out . Best of luck whatever your bullet choices are .

Thank You for that Buddy!!! I shoot both those calibers so I really need to try the Hammer bullets. I was of the impression that they were very hard, tough bullets. Great on penetration but not so great on expansion on small light game liker Whitetails. I need to try a box!!!!

Your real dilemma is this ammo thingy for hunting gets w-a-a-a-a-y over thunked..... For your gkids, go buy a box of factory hunting ammo and go have fun with them at the range and in a tree stand. If it goes bang and drops a whitetail at 50yds, and you are with them, they will be walkin' in tall cotton, grinnin' ear to ear. They aren't gonna be dropping P&Ys or B&Cs at 1000yds for a few years...1-2MOA is SWEET for your needs.. RE; SH; LMAO
I hear what you're saying but my OCD will never allow any kin to carry a 2 MOA system into the field! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Mom got a 721 in 270 back in 1954. She weighed 108 pounds for most of her life. Always got her limit of deer with that 270 shooting the old Winchester 130gr Silver Tips. I started using it about 1964 or 65. Started handloading 130gr Sierra's in 1968 over 60gr of 4831 (wasn't any "H" or "IMR" back then.

Long story short, lots of deer went to our table over the years. Favorite hunting bullets are 130gr Sie Pro Hunter & 130gr Hornady Interlock for deer. The 140SST, 145ELD-X and 140 Sierra TGK are very accurate and devastating on deer. I've taken elk with the 150gr Sie GK out to 465yds.

For the kiddos I recommend 130gr Hornady Interlock. Can't go wrong. Someone mentioned over the counter ammo, which is fine if that's what you want, but now is the time to raise the next generation of handloaders.

In my Ruger 77 mark II boat paddle, I went to a 110g Barnes ttsx, and never recovered a bullet from all angles quartering coming and going.

58g of Win 760 with 9 1/2 primer
57.5g of R#17 with a fed 210
3300 fps
Bullets seated .050 off the lands, not a hard bullet to tune.
Deer flop on the spot, as a rule, lots of shock to the innards

Accuracy with this TTSX and also the same loads in a Sierra 110g Pro hunter is astounding to say the least, but on quartering shots with the 110g Sierra, you do not get an exit.

140g Noslers with 58g of H4831, win brass, cci 250 shoots 3/8" groups in my rem 700 with the bullets touching the lands.

140g Hornady btsp with the same load shoots 5/8" with both of these 140's being fabulous deer killers.

The 110g Barnes ttsx at 3300 will out-penetrate a 140g cup and core on length-wise shots.

I shoot the 130g Hornady flat base, 60-61g of H4831, cci 250...never had any hint of a failure on deer and hogs. I prefer the flat base over the bt version as I think they hang together better.

Brothers have killed many deer with the sierra 130g btsp, never any kind of problem...never.

No doubt that the 150g Hornady flat base is an elk bullet, no doubt! Brother has a couple of 270's that prefer this bullet over 130 and 140g bullets to shoot 3/8" groups and less...hogs make for great bullet testing medium.

Last edited:
So here's my dilemma, I've got my father's Remington Model 721, chambered in .270 Win, built in 1952. I don't need it for hunting, as I have three other rifles in good calibers that fit all of my hunting needs. I just would like my grandkids to be able to hunt with their great-grandfather's rifle. It's in great shape.

I have worked up a load with Nosler 140 grain Ballistic Tip bullets that group about .700, so that's decent for anything that my family would use it for. I'm thinking about trying a different bullet. I like the ELD-X bullet for a good all around performing bullet on medium sized game, but it only comes in 145 grain in the .277 line.

Should I load the 145 ELDX, get the good performance and give up some speed and flatness, or drop down to 130 grain, get the speed back up, maybe with a Berger Classic Hunter? Or just stay with the 140 grain BT? Thoughts?
Your ballistic tip bullet is great for antelope and deer. I've used one in 6.5 Grendle and had nothing but DRT results. However, Nosler does not recommend using any ballistic tip for elk.

My daughter uses the 130 gr Barnes with great success.

I am currently working up loads for the 117 gr Hammer, and the 120 gr Cutting Edge. I will be going to the range in a couple of hours to check out velocity and pressure using 5 different powders. Let me know if you want the results.