270 Rem action

gmoose

Just read J E Custom on Bolt face diameters. I wanted to re barrel my 270 action with some thing that would make a 700 yard elk gun but it looks like a different bolt would be needed, need help, thanks

280AI I think will get you out there with the energy needed. OR you can have your bolt face opened up OR sell your bolt and buy a ptg mag bolt. up to you some guys are getting it done with a 6.5x284 out to a 1000 (gunwerks if I remember correctly)

I originally going for .280 AI but went with .270 AI instead and couldn't be any happier. It propels the 175 Matrix VLD near 3100 FPS but my current accuracy load is 2993 FPS. My .270 Win (non-AI fireformed) accuracy load is 2919 FPS. Plenty of energy at 700 yards for elk size game at 1820 FT-LBS. For a few more oomp, check out the .270 Sherman.

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

Re-barrel it to 1:8" and you're golden. Good luck!

FEENIX has the best recommendations I would say.

Regarding another bolt to get bigger cartridge, there is no need. My Rem 721 bolt was opened for the 270 Allen Magnum cartridge without any problems. The problem was after shooting out 2 barrels in less than 1600 rounds the problem was now I needed a new bolt to get a more sane cartridge.

The 270 Win with a 27" barrel gets enough velocity with 150 Bergers to qualify as an elk rifle to nearly your suggested distance. Just "nearly" for my tastes though.

Idaho CTD's threads on the 270 Sherman and 270 SS should give you all the info needed to make a darn good choice to meet your needs.

My experience with the 270 AM and studies of the elkaholics Sherman offerings I'm strongly suggesting a Sherman offering would be very strong competitor to the Allen Mag in 270 for anything you'd want to do with it.

The 165 Matrix @ at around 3100 MV out of a 24" barrel would be very hard to pass on. (At least for us velocity hawgs)

Oh, and pushing a 140 class offering at 3200 out of a Winny is pretty much a piece of cake, with the right barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.