Rem 700 action screws

huntoregon

Does anyone make differing length receiver screws for a REM 700? My front screw hits the bolt when I try to close it. I would rather buy a new shorter screw than hack on the one I have, but will if I have no option.

Does anyone make differing length receiver screws for a REM 700? My front screw hits the bolt when I try to close it. I would rather buy a new shorter screw than hack on the one I have, but will if I have no option.
check brownells or midway they may have something in stock, a good hardware store should have both blued and stainless 1/4-28 Allen head screws that will work.

Most need to be cut because of varying stocks. Run it tight then you'll be able to see about how much needs to be cut. Just make sure you don't mess up the threads on the end

I'm sure you know this already but just as a reminder. A simple way to do something like that is to thread a nut on all the way to bolt then grind some off bolt then just unthread nut and it cleans up the threads.
Again I'm sure you knew that but I was thankful when I was shown that trick

Thanks for the replies. I am aware of the nut trick and that was going to be how I did it. But thanks for the heads up I'm sure someone will benefit from that.

I turn them in a mini lathe and dress the radius around the threads with a really fine stone on a bench grinder. Looks like it never happened and keeps everything straight. No need for a nut.

I purposely bought screws too long just so I can grind them down to fit. I think jaoutdoors and Red Hawk both carry screws. Hard to know they are the correct length due to difference in stocks.