Rem 600 action

I am currently building a 6 mm dasher off a 600 mohawk. The 600 are shorter by approx 1/2" then a 700 short action, there is only one rear scope mount hole on the 600 as opposed to two on the 700. I have not compared them to a model 7 but think that they are about the closest in size. thanks

The 600 is very close to the Model 7. I recently just built my son a .257 Roberts on one. I blueprinted the action, installed a M700 bolt handle and trigger and turned it into an ADL. It shoots like a dream...

Here are a couple pics...1st one is of the 700 bolt handle, I lightened it up a bit.

Attachments

• DSCN7187.jpg
    DSCN7187.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN7192.jpg
    DSCN7192.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 91
Nice Rifle! I love those little guns, I have two in mostly factory trim, one in 6mm Rem and one in .308.

What have you got on there for bottom metal/trigger guard? Obviously not factory....:)

I used a 700 ADL trigger guard, and a Model Seven stock. It is a repeater in the ADL style (no floorplate), feed from the top. I had to do some work to make it all fit, but nothing to drastic - simple hand tools is all I used...

Durak, the reason I asked was because the OP stated he had 2 actions and one was a single shot. I've never seen a single shot 600/660. I put a 600 action in a M7 stock and was not happy with the area around the rear tang. It just didn't look right. I got an HS Precision stovk made for a 600 and am much happier. Mine is a 250-3000 AI, with a 10 twist octagon barrel. I put a Witchita side bolt release on it.

My 600 ( 6mm) has been some what of a delema for me. I guess I get attached to my guns. It was my first high power ( used) . I pondered making it a better little rifle , but the the economics get in the way. If you measure the bolt opening , you will find that it is about a .25 " longer( a+) than a 700 short action, although the magazine is a mere .10" . Yea, my trigger guard is warpped and the magazine is a bitch to deal with . Would it be wrong to spot weld the magazine to the action ? That is the real problem with that rifle . I was going to pillar bed the action , ran into problems with rear action screw. I would then bed the action. Looking at the bottom of the action , I find no rub or wear marks. It doesn't owe me anything , for the $100 I have in it. Has anyone else been crazy enough to rebuild one? lightbulb

I did a complete rebuild on my 600 in .308 last summer. It was my first deer rifle, and has accounted for untold number of whitetails, including some memorable(for me) trophies. So i have quite an emotional attachment to it.

in my younger days I served in the National Guard and may or may not have been assigned responsibility for a few truck loads of 7.62X 51 MG ammo at the range. This unfortunately contributed to the throat being destroyed in my little 600.:rolleyes:

So the little gun had deteriorated to 1 1/2 -2" groups and taken up residence in the back of the gun box.

Past summer, I ran across an excellent, original barrel for it on gunbroker, and picked it up for $53. At the time I wasn't sure that the 700 barrels were the same thread.(they are).

So I tore it down and redid the whole thing, fresh barrel, polish, refinish the stock with pillar and epoxy bedding, cut the pressed checkering. Pretty happy with the results, the gun is back in service as a hunter now, although I am still working on load development, I've had some pretty promising trials.

I recall having to relive the rear pillar for the trigger. I've got pictures on my other computer, I'll see if I can post some later.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.