270 loads?

Well I think for deer I'm going to give up on the heavies and go to the 110g Barnes ttsx they are supposed to hammer deer hard. And be fast and flat.
Tried them and like them. I used H414 and WLR primer. I do not like Federal brass too soft. The Barnes 110 ttsx's are great for deer.

In factory 10" twist rifles our go to load is 117g Hammer Hunter at 3300fps + with IMR-4350. This is easy deer medicine to 600y and Elk at 400y to 500y.

Steve
Any other similar powders?

I was looking at Reloder 16 but need to extrapolate backward from their published data to find a 117g load.

I have H-4350 as well.

I would stick with the H4831. Here are my loads in a 24" weatherby vanguard 2. I haven't shot anything with the 110ttsx, but shoots consistent sub minute groups at 500 yd. But used the 129 LRX last year. 350 yd mule deer. Went about 20 yds.
-110 TTSX, 61.5gr H4831, CCi 200 primer, 3.325" COL 3209 fps 0.6 MOA @ 200yd.
-129 LRX, 59gr H4831, cci 200, 3004fps 0.7MOA.

Rl16 would also be a good bet. Any of the powders in the 4350 burn rate will work. Might pull a little more vel with 16.

Steve

For deer 130 Gn Berger has dropped most where they stand, If this ever fails I will be all over hammers go to .277. I'm really dying to try them just need a reason.

I'm like a drug
For deer 130 Gn Berger has dropped most where they stand, If this ever fails I will be all over hammers go to .277. I'm really dying to try them just need a reason.
I'm like a drug dealer. All I gotta do is get you to try once and you will be hooked!

Steve

H4831 is an excellent choice. I use 59 for a 130 Nosler BT over a WLR primer to get a consistent 2996. .5moa groups. I've thumped a lot of deer over the years with them. I use the same load for elk with accubonds for elk for my family. They do well but do print a little different on paper. Zero shifts a little.

ok I have been trying to get my Ruger m77 markii shooting 150g bergers. Today I chronographed them they are shooting only like 2550-2600 FPS. Using 54gs of h4831sc federal brass and federal 210m primers. Does this seem right? My factory ammo with 130 was shooting 3050 FPS.

I'm using 60gr h4831sc, Norma brass, neck sized and bumped .002", with BR2 primers. I'm using 145gr ELD-X bullets at .065" off the lands and getting 3005 fps. This is a max load for my rifle & these particular components. So I wouldn't suggest going up to 60g (in fact, I am gradually backing off a couple tenths at a time to see if I can get more accuracy). During my load development, I also had good accuracy with 56.4gr and that gave me @2870 fps. If I don't get the accuracy this rifle is capable of I will just go back to last years hunting load.
Last season I was using 150gr SST's with 49.7 grains of IMR4350 with the same brass and primers. I was getting a very consistent 2666 fps. My elevation is 5700 above sea level. Also I have a 22" sporter barrel and 1in10 twist. I may go back to this load because it was VERY accurate in my rifle and I get the same results if I throw the charge versus weighing each one.

Last edited:
FYI, the Great 270 wcf made its reputation with a 130 bullet doing 3160 fps , now it factory down loaded to take your pick low 2800s to mid 3000 fps . And people that don't know any better accept this & pay for to to boot! Ever hear of Jack O'Connor he made the round Famous ,I'm not a fan of h4831 in 270 wcf but Love RL/22,RL/23&Imr 4831 all with safe reloads above 3100 fps , Guys my best tip is to Read & Crossreference as much material as you can gather ! Then proceed with caution & a good Cronograph it's a Great performing round that can hold it's own & has stood the test of time since 1925 !!! Thks jjmp

Zr600 try RL/26 with those B/150s lots and lots of great reports about it in 270s with 150 GN bullets ,we are very lucky to have so many Great powders , true some bbls are slow some fast some in the middle mine weres a 24 in bbl a 22 will lose 50 fps or 25 fps per inch .granted the Barnes work but they loose ft lbs at longer range because of their liter weight , everything's a compromise , but then again short range it won't matter , ya se bbls like certain weight bullets but a good reloader will fine that out by testing n shooting !. I don't shoot factory I reload shame on the Factories for under loading so many fine Cartridges , just to make some look better on paper then others, reloaders arm yourselfs with knowledge it's out there prove it to yourself isn't that what really matters !!! Rifle case volumes vary ,primers & bbl lengths , but a smart reloader Gets it !!! & puts the puzzle together for His or Her advantage . Young shooters & Reloaders ask questions of your Senior reloaders n shooters like minds Gather , the best reloader I have the pleasure of knowing is 81 or82 yrs young he's Forgot more then Most know , TAP this resource before they are gone !!! Regards jjmp

I like hearing the truth like it was just told. Companies underload ammo on old favorites,to help sell a new caliber, lot of people drink the koolaid. Gun writers write tales of these new wonders and the stores stock-up for the new wave of gun sales. Charles newton had unbelted magnums in the early 20th century. Not a lot of new things, just new generations to hoodwink. 256 newton could do anything these new wonders can do.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts