.270 load near max?

Hey Roy,
Thanks for the class!!! Well written and explained.
That is the kind of info I needed, and one of the reasons I love this website: accurate and useful information.

3006 I just got a real steal yesterday on 2 boxes of 100 Hornady Interbonds 130 gr. for 17.95 a box. I wish they had more . I got them at a gun shop local and I don't know if they were on sale or mis marked. I might try them in 150. I wish hey made them in 140's. But can get the Acc. bond 140's and are about the same.

I checked out the Alliant website and they list 54 grains RL17 (max) at 3136fps vs 58 grains RL22(max) at 2947fps. That works out to 189fps difference and there is no problem with compressing powder to do it, nor is the powder as temperature sensitive.

RL17 has really stepped up the performance in my 06 and according to Alliants data even more so for the 270.

Many of my loads are a few grains over published max. To me, loading guides are just that, GUIDES. What is max in their test receiver/bbl may or may not match mine. That said, many of my loads are a few grains under published max too.

I have a 7mag wtih a Shilen bbl on it where my 150 NBT max load was about 4 grains more than published max with IMR4831 powder, as an example. In fact, there were still no pressure signs but I stopped anyway as groups were opening to just over an inch.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.