.270 For Moose?

I killed my first moose in Alaska with a .270 with 150 Nosler Partition handloads. Long shot, about 250 but he went down with a somewhat high shoulder shot. Just a small bull but a dead moose just the same. My 2nd AK bull was a tad bigger at 55 inches and another longish shot of about 240 yards. By this time I had acquired a .338 Win Mag with 250 Hornady Spire Points for handloads. Dropped so fast my hunting partner couldn't believe it. Yes, a .270 is adequate if the shooter can shoot. If the .338 got accidentally disabled, I wouldn't hesitate to unleash the .270 Winchester.

.270 will kill moose just fine. Maybe not my first choice but if that is what you have it will work fine. I believe that most people over caliber any way. To me, it most important that 1-you can shoot well with your rifle 2-yuo know where to aim 3- you have a quality bullet designed for the job at hand (moose are not whit tail after all) 4 you know the limitations of your equipment and your self. Then you might consider caliber choices. I have had more clients with BIG GUNS, have trouble killing animal than I have ever had with lady shooting calibers that they can handle and shoot well. I always find it interesting when someone tells me that a big caliber is needed and then they give their wife or child a smaller caliber to do the same job.

I have only seen 1 moose shot with a .270. that bull died about 10 seconds!

The 338 is the king, then the 7mm. All the other calibers will work only when you shoot in in the right spot..LOL... My message is its not about the caliber. It is the shot placement and retaining energy at what distance. The 6.5x55 swede has taken more moose than any other cartridge due to its use in Scandinavia and Sweden.

If the moose presents the broadside shot (if the country is fairly open you will normally get this shot presentation), then the .270 thru the middle of the ribs will be lethal. If your moose doesn't present that broadside shot, then I'd prefer something heavier. For example, I had one bull jump up inside the edge of the brush and run away from me at a range of about 175 yds, heading into the thick stuff. My .338 Win Mag brought him down with a shot that raked into his spine. However, most times you'll get the broadside shot, if you allow it to present, in my experience.

If I were purchasing a rifle focusing on Alaskan moose, I step it up to .338 unless I was recoil shy.

If I was hunting Alaskan moose with a .270, I wouldn't expect any significant handicap with the broadside shot into the ribs. One shot would do it, with a quality bullet expanding with enough retained velocity/energy. Most moose will be shot within 250 yds.

Since this is a LRH forum, if you were setting up specifically to kill a moose at 600 yds or farther away, I would shift my preference and encourage a larger magnum caliber. I've shot a number beginning at 500 yds and on out to 750-800 yds. All with .338 caliber bullets. Beginning with the .338 Win Mag and topping out with a .338-.378 Weatherby Mag. A single solid broadside hit to the middle of the ribs will bring them down. If they go farther than 60-80 yds after your first shot, you better presume it was a bad shot - or you missed.

No need to muck up the front shoulder meat. Aim just behind the front shoulder muscle, mid-height on their rib cage. Then give them a minute or two to fall over, provided he doesn't trot off too far. Once they move off more than 60-80 yds, and especially if they're still looking healthy/alert, you better be believing the first shot wasn't on the money.

I've killed several moose and elk. Its been my experience that elk are tougher then moose by a long shot.

I use a 270 Win as my primary elk rifle. Its about a good bullet and shot placement.

Problem with heavy calibers, few people can shoot them. Plus they tend to be heavy. When you're slugging through muskeg every ounce counts. I pretty much gave up all hunting with anything but Model 70 Featherweights. But I'm getting old and lazy.

Heck I stopped a charging bull with my Model 28 Smith in 357.

IMG_NEW.jpg

I've killed several moose and elk. Its been my experience that elk are tougher then moose by a long shot.

I use a 270 Win as my primary elk rifle. Its about a good bullet and shot placement.

Problem with heavy calibers, few people can shoot them. Plus they tend to be heavy. When you're slugging through muskeg every ounce counts. I pretty much gave up all hunting with anything but Model 70 Featherweights. But I'm getting old and lazy.

Heck I stopped a charging bull with my Model 28 Smith in 357.

IMG_NEW.jpg

Kraigwy , I would mount that rack on my car hood.... hee hee hee

yes it will work,but use a tuff-enough bullet,love the 270 and shoot them, but there

are better bigger rounds that do it easier,as mentioned above the 338 Winchester magnum.

is quite IDEAL,and I hand one built just for the big creaters, granted its more recoil, but we can train ourselfs better with positive

out comes. your also in Big Bear country ,something also to think on.

regards and good luck Moose hunting, jjmp

yes it will work,but use a tuff-enough bullet,love the 270 and shoot them, but there

are better bigger rounds that do it easier,as mentioned above the 338 Winchester magnum.

is quite IDEAL,and I hand one built just for the big creaters, granted its more recoil, but we can train ourselfs better with positive

out comes. your also in Big Bear country ,something also to think on.

regards and good luck Moose hunting, jjmp

That's right, jjmp ... what did they use for rifles back in the 50's ? I thought I heard 30-30 and 3006 quite often by some old timers when I was young.

agreed bob,i'm sure there were some 35 Whelens,also called the poor mans 375 hnh, heck back then the 30-30 maybe!!! took more game then the Great 30-06, and a 300 meant 300 savage md 99 lever or bolt action, yes the 300 HnH was around but i'm sure only well healed persons owned them.

thats what started John Nosler SN, making custom bullets ,store bought factory bullet blew up

on the shoulder of a big Canadian moose, he got the moose but Built us better bullets.

and so it goes, regards jjmp

The .270 Win might just be the second best cartridge for all North American big game hunting, right behind the .280 Rem.

I never shot a moose, but love the 270.... Wouldn't be afraid to take one with it. The 270 leaves a wicked wound channel, from what I have seen with hogs and deer... a frontal shot at a 250 lb hog (175 yds) in the front shoulder, went straight through it, and out its hind quarter. Leaves exit wound the size of a silver dollar.....

Hi hunterbob,

You're absolutely right. The .270 Win will destroy parts that need destroying. I've never had to shoot anything twice with mine. Also, .277 caliber seems to be inherently accurate. I've seem mule deer disappear after a single shot. They just drop right where they stood. The internal damage is devastating. And it doesn't take a fancy, high-dollar bullet to get a .270 Win to work. Sierra GameKings work as good a bullets costing 4 times as much.

I shot a huge bull elk last month with my 7MM Rem Mag. He went better than 900 pounds and scored better than 370. One shot, one dead elk. Fact is, my .270 Win could have one-shot killed him just as dead. Seems as though animals don't stick around long with shot-out hearts. Anyway, I think I'm going right back to a .270 Win for the rest of my big game hunting from here on out.