270 cal experiences?

The 270 AI and WSM are real close, if I were to do a long action I'd go the Sherman and pick up some significant performance. The WSMs run so, so sweet in the Tikka or mid length action, the 270 SS on a short action runs right with the 270 WSM.

The 270 AI and WSM are real close, if I were to do a long action I'd go the Sherman and pick up some significant performance. The WSMs run so, so sweet in the Tikka or mid length action, the 270 SS on a short action runs right with the 270 WSM.

So I'd have to run mid length like a tikka or defiance for the Wsm to be able to optimize performance, and a long action for the 270 ai obviously. But the Sherman short could be run on a short action and keep up with preformance or are you taking about the 270 Sherman to pick up some significant performance?

One thing the wsm has going for it. Peterson is about to put wsm brass on the market. When I talked with then last month they said mid January. I used thier brass in my creedmoor. I have 50 for my 308that I haven't shot yet. It is very high quality brass at a very good price point.

Thank you everyone, definately something to think about! I think I'd try the 270. AI if I went long action as it matches performance to the Sherman yet cheaper to shoot and factory ammo if needed. And as far as short I guess the Wsm looks to be the best option!

The first rifle I ever loved is my Win .270, I have taken black bear, caribou, black tail and moose here in Alaska. I have taken a few white tail and hogs in Texas as well. My favorite and most accurate load has been with 140 & 150 grain AccuBonds. My rifle just loves the Noslers. It since has taken a back seat to my 300 win mag. due to where I now hunt. Proof that shot placement and accuracy is a great trump card. Just ask Jack O'Connor.

I have a .270 AI with 30" SS Lilja 1:8" 3G barrel with JP Enterprise Beenie Cooley MB propelling the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS (my current accuracy load, but have reach near 3100 FPS but with pressure signs with H4831SC and the group opens up). No experience with 170 Berger at this time.

HF73NP2.jpg

Nice looking rifle Feenix. I'm still waiting on mine and cannot wait to get loading some ammo for it.

I have a bit of a soft spot for the 270. win and in turn anything .277 cal peaks my interest. I wanted to see who is shooting a .277 cal rifle for long range or for long range hunting? What caliber you went with (270. Win, 270. Wsm, 270 ss or Sherman), and what bullets/velocity are you shooting? How is the 170gr Berger for big game hunting?

One of my hunting buddies, has a Winchester 70 in .270 WSM and he swears by it. He took it to Wyoming a year ago and took a nice Muley and an antelope with it. The muley was like 485 yards and the antelope was 280 yards, one shot DRT. I've shot his rifle find it easy on the shoulder and very accurate. I presently am having a .270 Ackley Improved built. There's a lot of data that puts the .270AI down because 50 years ago Ackley said that the cartridge was not worth doing due to it already being overbore. I find that with the new powders and bullets it is well worth looking into. I like the .270 Winchester, it's a fine old cartridge that has been around for a long time and will around for a lot longer time. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

One of my hunting buddies, has a Winchester 70 in .270 WSM and he swears by it. He took it to Wyoming a year ago and took a nice Muley and an antelope with it. The muley was like 485 yards and the antelope was 280 yards, one shot DRT. I've shot his rifle find it easy on the shoulder and very accurate. I presently am having a .270 Ackley Improved built. There's a lot of data that puts the .270AI down because 50 years ago Ackley said that the cartridge was not worth doing due to it already being overbore. I find that with the new powders and bullets it is well worth looking into. I like the .270 Winchester, it's a fine old cartridge that has been around for a long time and will around for a lot longer time. Good luck with whatever you decide on.
My son shoots my Grandfather's Sako 270 and I have a 270 WSM. I had the original 264 win mag back in my earlier years but as expected, shot the barrel out of it and replaced it with a cheap Tikka T3 270 wsm. Got it for $599 about a decade ago. Between my Grandpa, son and myself we've killed over 100 deer and 24 elk with a .277 caliber. Typically, with the 140 grain Accubond and 150 grain Partition. It just kills. Not sure if there is any mystique or magic to it but we've never had an animal get away. I shot the barrel out of the Tikka and replaced it with a 1:8 twist barrel. Oh **** if it didn't turn this rifle into a beast! With the 156 Hammer Hunter bullets and 170 Berger's it will shoot under MOA out to 1200 yds and is an extremely effective killer on mule deer, elk, pigs, antelope and bear. I rarely carry anything else anymore. And that poor old Model 70 264 just sits in the back of the safe gathering dust. I will rebarrel it someday, but for a hunter that doesn't shoot live animals over 600 yds I really don't need it. I have a 280 AI I really like with the 168 ABLR but it's a 10 lb rifle so it has it's limitations or maybe my aging legs do carrying it at high elevations. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with that 270 AI and hope you have as much luck and fun as my family has shooting the 270's over the years. Enjoy your build!

My son shoots my Grandfather's Sako 270 and I have a 270 WSM. I had the original 264 win mag back in my earlier years but as expected, shot the barrel out of it and replaced it with a cheap Tikka T3 270 wsm. Got it for $599 about a decade ago. Between my Grandpa, son and myself we've killed over 100 deer and 24 elk with a .277 caliber. Typically, with the 140 grain Accubond and 150 grain Partition. It just kills. Not sure if there is any mystique or magic to it but we've never had an animal get away. I shot the barrel out of the Tikka and replaced it with a 1:8 twist barrel. Oh ---- if it didn't turn this rifle into a beast! With the 156 Hammer Hunter bullets and 170 Berger's it will shoot under MOA out to 1200 yds and is an extremely effective killer on mule deer, elk, pigs, antelope and bear. I rarely carry anything else anymore. And that poor old Model 70 264 just sits in the back of the safe gathering dust. I will rebarrel it someday, but for a hunter that doesn't shoot live animals over 600 yds I really don't need it. I have a 280 AI I really like with the 168 ABLR but it's a 10 lb rifle so it has it's limitations or maybe my aging legs do carrying it at high elevations. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with that 270 AI and hope you have as much luck and fun as my family has shooting the 270's over the years. Enjoy your build!

Thanks looking forward to the build. I almost bought a Remington 700 in .264 Win mag a few years back while returning from a bear hunt. I still wish that I'd bought it, not that I needed it, but simply wanted something unique. The build that I am doing now was on the back burner, and at the last minute I chose to do the build instead of the Rem700. I already had two Ruger 77, tang safety rifles in the safe, and....my son lucked out because he also got a .270AI for Christmas this year. He's actually never seen the rifle, only the shipping box, addressed to the gunsmith and a packing slip to the gunsmith letting my son know what he was getting for Christmas. We were both shooting the .270s and really liked the way they shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts