Experiences with SAUM brass

odoylerules

As many of you may have heard or personally experienced, the hornady 6.5 gap 4s brass is SOFT. In testing my new rifle even after a single firing I noticed a loosening of the primer pockets on the higher node, (H-1000 approx 3150fps).
I'd like to have brass that last more than 3 firings.
How's the Norma and Bertram brass compare?
I'm especially interested in Bertram.
Thanks guys

I have a 6.5 gap 4s myself, but have only shot Hornady brass. All research I have read, formed norma is a lot better. I would imagine Bertram is tougher yet.

I have never read any good results about Hornady brass except by ppl that are sponsored by Hornady. I like the Norma Saum brass but primer pockets open up quickly with max loads and the case weight variation is a little more than I like. I have used Bertram in 2 cartridges 338 AM and my 338 EDGE imp, it is very tough. The same loads I used to get 1 firing with Jamison brass I get 6-8 with the Bertram. It also has lasted 5-6 firings in my edge imp pushing the 300s at 2980fps out of a 30 in bbl and hasn't grown much at the base, wouldn't surprise me if it made it to 15 or more firings but that barrel is done now. Case weight variation is about the same as Norma but I need to measured FF case volume as others report it is very consistent. I also need to check the neck wall thickness consistency on the edge brass but it would shoot .2- .3 moa at 1100 yards without neck turning when the barrel was still good. The AM brass I had bought from Kirby came FF and necked turned and I've been very happy with it. When Adg comes out with brass for the Saum that would be your best bet. Bertram will be right up there with it I just don't know if tolerances will be as consistent.

I have Hornady brass in my 7mm LRM, the design and idea behind the case are great, but killed by junk Hornady brass. I wish there was another option for this cartridge as well!

Interesting! I am assuming that it will be loaded ammo as I don't see any brass only for sale on their site. If so, would be nice to have the option to by loaded ammo at a reasonable price and have decent brass to load afterwards.

It looks like the guys at RUAG/Norma are making 6.5 SAUM brass - check out the email from Prime:

Is this true?
I don't see any mention on there website.
I have used 300saum Norma for my 7mm and really rate it.
Have a 6.5 on the way.
I have been wondering about remmington for my new 6.5 saum as it's said to have a little more capability.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.