270 cal experiences?

Thank you everyone, love seeing the .277 cals doing well for people in long range shoot and hunting. I won't be doing a build for some time but have been going back and fourth between calibers trying to help narrow it down. Was considering a 270. Wsm or 270 ss. I'd love to push the 170's at 3000+ FPS. Not settle on a short action but figured it might make for a nice little hunting rifle. Not opposed to a long action, 270. Ai or 270 Sherman. Not looking to go crazy big like a 270 rum or anything like that

Last edited:
I have an 8tw 277 barrel and am looking at the 270ai or wsm. Every time Feenix breaks out that picture of his rifle I get a grin on my face. It is the reason I have an 8tw 27 barrel to begin with.
Long time 270 fan. It would be nice to see a 160eldx and a 160 sierria tmk based on the same 27 ogive they released last year

The ai I know I can get to 3050 in a 28" barrel with a few powders. I also feel that with rl26 I should be close to that with a 26" shooting the 170's. The one thing with rl 26 in my limited experience. It likes to up near the top pressure and it has shown me low single digit sd's with exceptional accuracy

Has anyone done a 270 SAUM? What velocity are you getting with the 165 or 170?

The 270. Ai where does that fall in with the 270 Wsm?
I think you'd be really happy with the 270 WSM built on a long action, RL26 is awesome in my 7-300WSM and I'm sure you'd have no problem breaking 3000 fps with a 170 loaded out past 3".
If you want lightweight consider using a Tikka LA magnum, if you sand the sides of the LA magazine the WSM cases will feed flawlessly.
I love my TIkka 6.5 SAUM, weighs 5.8 lbs and is my go to lightweight hunter.

Wow I'm a little surprised by that choice for 1200 yard shooting, I'm not knocking the 270 WSM at all I think it's awesome with 170 EOL's.

I'm just curious what made you decide to forego a caliber increase of .007 with better long range bullet options? I'm sure you have a good reason, I'm asking sincerely.

I've run the numbers and if I pushed my 270 WSM to 3100 with the 170 it would be traveling 1690 FPS, and retain 1078 Ft/lbs of energy at 1200 yards. Not too bad..

A 7 WSM with a 180 ELDM at 3050 will arrive at 1200 yards with 1374 ft/lbs of energy and traveling 1855 fps.
Pretty big difference in knockdown,and velocity for reliable expansion.

I totally get your point in moving away from the 28 Nos though, there comes a point where driving a smaller bullet to ridiculous velocities just doesn't pencil out, and moving up a caliber makes more sense..

I've shot both a fair bit, I hunt at 6500+ ft elevation so at 1200 I'm usually around 1800 ish fps even not humping the 270 WSM with a 170 and the two of the bullets I would use have proven extremely consistent on game from 100-1200 yards. The 28 Nosler I just have not found the bullet that gives me that range, the 195 Berger and 180 ELDM just are a no go for some of the close opportunities so I ran a 177 Hammer in conjunction with the longer range bullet, I just never got the love over that range from my 28 no matter the bullet. Shooting milk jugs at a mile it was unreal at, a solid everyday hunting rifle not so much.
The throat life between the two is not even comparable, the 270 WSM with excellent bullets is comfortable to shoot without a brake in an average weight rifle, the 28 a brake is required. I burn about 20 grains of powder more in my 28 in cases that cost $3 ish and really am under welmed by it in a hunting situation. Step up to the 30 Nosler and it's on like Donkey Kong for hunting but it's a different level from the 270 class cases.

So for me it boils down to how the best long range bullets function across a broad range, the total rifle package the chamberings just shines in, and lethality and ballistics. The 270 WSM class case checks all my boxes

Love the 270Win since I bought my first new rifle in that caliber, a Win model 70 Lightweight. It has some nice history in the pronghorn fields as does my wife's Ruger 77MkII in 270. I got a good friend into hunting and he thinks it's cheating, having started off with a Tikka T3 stainless in 270 and a Leupold VX-3 and shooting only Federal Fusion 130grain loads. It groups incredibly with this ammo and he has turned from pronghorn protégé to mentor. I bought a Tikka T3 in 270WSM from a friend and dialed in a 130gn GMX load that took my pronghorn at 425 yards this last season. Our experience with .277" as a long distance round, has been excellent and as a simpleton, I only use IMR4350 for the most part.

Jack O'Connors last rifle was a Ruger M77 in .280 rem.
upload_2019-1-13_14-12-37.jpeg

Well, he did say if the .280 came out first, he would have chose it over the .270 .
But if the Germans would have made the 6.8x57 instead, the .284 bore may have been akin to the 8mm. Which hangs by thread, it seems.

My first big game rifle was a Browning ABolt in 270 Win about 36 years ago. At the time I had my heart set on a 25-06 but they were out. The salesman suggested a 270 and I am glad he did. My next 270 was an HS Precision take down rifle in 1999. That rifle has never missed a shot from 100 to 600 yards on big game. I still only use 130 BT in those rifles and the accuracy is wonderful. Low recoil and way out there killing power.

If you have to run the 270. Wsm on a long action then I'm wondering if there is a benefit to running a 270. Wsm vs 270 ai if there both neck and neck in velocity and both being run on a long action anyways?

Would it be beneficial to look into the Sherman or Sherman short vs the other two? Nobody likes the idea of a 270 SAUM?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.