Manners Stock Experiences

Hey guys, Robert from Manners stocks here. I hate to hear about the bad experiences. Any trouble you may have shoot me an e-mail to [email protected] and I will be glad to make sure you're treated right. We do run a lot of stocks out of the shop and I understand there will be issues here and there but know that I will do whatever I can to make it right. We will NOT stick a customer with a stock that won't suit their needs.
Please, feel free to get with me if you have any issues. I will try to keep a watch on this site as I have been gone from it for a while. Please don't hold much faith in the PM's here as I have to make sure the e-mail and phones at work are my priority and will come to the forums when I can. I'm a VERY passionate LR shooter myself and have been much longer than I have been an employee here so I do understand the issues and will make sure you get what you need. I truly appreciate all our customers and we will stand behind our products.

816-283-3334 or [email protected] if you need to get with me.

Thanks yall! Glad to be back on the site, I hope to be around here more often now!

I too set out to have a custom lightweight hunting rifle built, at the beginning of 2019. February I contacted Manners and McMillan to ask some questions. McMillan answered within a day, I had to ask Manners again after about a week or so. I decided on Manners for the 100% carbon fiber Elite Tactical PRS-1 with the black forest GAP camo. I called to ask what the lead time was since I had heard it can take several months and was told 8-12 weeks. I was looking to have the rifle for the October hunting season.

Well, I emailed about 13 weeks later and asked when it was going to be done and delivered to GA precision and they said September. I got an email while hunting saying the stock was finished and they wanted payment, then they sent another email asking for payment and when I finally had constant service I contacted them to pay. Hunting season was OVER.
They sent the stock to GA Precision, I sent them my barreled action, and I got my rifle about 3 weeks later. GA told me 4-6 weeks to bed the stock and it was 3. GA precision throughout the process met or beat their lead times and Manners just bumped them up from the start.

I got my rifle a few weeks ago from GA and upon opening the case the first thing I noticed was a crappy flat pitted, unrefined camo finish complete with wear through on the top of the back of the butt. On top of dozens of little white pits there was junk that looked like the mold hadn't been cleaned before layup. Then I picked it up and my scrutinizing eye went into action and immediately I noticed and uneven barrel Channel complete with rounded and crisp edges and waviness like it had shifted during inlet. On top of that the barrel channel was cut quite generous for the Proof Research Carbon fiber Sendero barrel I noted in the build sheet. Mostly on the underside but far more than any of my other free floated rifles. It almost seems like every time I look at it I find another defect.

I've been emailing back and forth and nothing seems to be getting resolved, and now emails have seemed stop. I ordered what was on their website images, a carbon fiber stock with the GAP blotch paint job; and a stock that should have the quality of a $1k stock. I can honestly say I'm happier with my $375 Bergara premier stock I had the 300 PRC action in beforehand. I bought the Bergara stock because of the extended wait time on the Manners stock.

I was so frustrated that I googled Manners Stock Issues to see if I was alone in my issues and found this page and some comments on other forums. So, I thought I'd add my experience also. I have been passed around between 3 customer service people at manners and it almost feels like I'm dealing with the cable company when you call to cancel and they bounce you around hoping you'll hang up out of frustration and forget about it. I'm hoping they fix the issues and I can report back with good news.

If my wife asks, I only own 2 Manners :) I have a couple eh5 and a couple eh1. My buddies ordered eh5s after shooting mine. I really like them. Great, feel, great look and rifles shoot great. The wait for mine have been the 6 months they promised unless they had one in stock I liked.

Ordered my second EH-1. They quoted 6 months, took 7 months 11 days, no other hiccups this time, stock came out great. I just plan on 8-9 months now with Manners, and I'm happy if I get it sooner.

Sdvldog 1371 Always inspect your stock before you modify or bed it. If it was new untouched it is likely they would have fixed it, especially if you talked to Tom about it. After the stock is bedded, it's kind of on you unfortunately.

I'm curious... I have never had an issue w McMillan and I recently ordered my first Manners stock (EH1A). I want to either confirm or write off my current experience as a one off.

I grabbed a stock that was already in process — canceled by another customer. I was told it should take 6-8 weeks and placed the order on March 5. In mid May I started calling and each time they told me it was in finishing and would be there for a week or two. I kept having to call them every two or three weeks as they would not respond to email. On Friday, July 20 (roughly 20 weeks later) I got an email that the stock was finished. As you might expect the stock is for a hunting rifle I had planned to use this year.

Is this par for course with Manners or am I just the unlucky guy?

Thanks!
I bought an EH one that similar to you was not picked up by a customer it was done and in stock when I ordered I had it in 10 days

Ordered my second EH-1. They quoted 6 months, took 7 months 11 days, no other hiccups this time, stock came out great. I just plan on 8-9 months now with Manners, and I'm happy if I get it sooner.

Sdvldog 1371 Always inspect your stock before you modify or bed it. If it was new untouched it is likely they would have fixed it, especially if you talked to Tom about it. After the stock is bedded, it's kind of on you unfortunately.
Not necessarily. But my circumstances are a little different being in Canada. I had a issue with the mini chassis in my EH1 this year. It needed to be bedded a lot. Customer service has been exceptional and I've only dealt with Tom. Even though it was bedded I could of returned it. But not so easy being from Canada. Long story short, Manners is sending me a new stock to make it right. I was shocked. IMHO that is going way above and beyond what I was expecting. I told them I'd be happy to pay some portion of the new stock, but didn't sound like they wanted me to. I'll deal with them again with no hesitation. Love the feel of the EH1.

Not necessarily. But my circumstances are a little different being in Canada. I had a issue with the mini chassis in my EH1 this year. It needed to be bedded a lot. Customer service has been exceptional and I've only dealt with Tom. Even though it was bedded I could of returned it. But not so easy being from Canada. Long story short, Manners is sending me a new stock to make it right. I was shocked. IMHO that is going way above and beyond what I was expecting. I told them I'd be happy to pay some portion of the new stock, but didn't sound like they wanted me to. I'll deal with them again with no hesitation. Love the feel of the EH1.
Tom is definitely the guy to talk to if you are having issues. Not sure if his customer service people are just really limited on what they are allowed to do or what, but tom does great. If you read my write up I linked earlier, he did similar and went way above to make things right, that's why I ordered frkm them again, and I will order again in the future. I'm just not going to do it expecting to have it before hunting season. I'll just order the stock, and get it when I get it. Or find one in stock somewhere if I need it quickly.

I didn't get the stock, it was walked over from Manners to GA Precision directly.

It appears though that I need to start trying to contact Tom directly. I suppose after the Holidays I will have to start on that.

I've got 5 Manners, not a problem to speak of. Oldest is 7 or so years old and newest is a few months. I'll keep buying from them in the future.

I bet I have owned 14 Manners stocks, only one a non mini chassis, I like Manners. Only 2 came direct from Manners, one a ready to ship I picked up, one ordered, the forecasted time frame was in line with delivery date, longer than I care to wait for anything though.When I finally order anything, it means I wanted it yesterday, lol
I rely on business's that keep stocks on hand, just way easier. Even though Manners will open barrel channels for free, just as easy to pay a smith to do it as go through the shipping process.
OP, I feel your pain on wait times, went through the same thing on a newly produced action this summer, ETA was end of May, came end of July, I wanted a rifle to shoot all summer with kids off from school. My first mistake was not selling it right off when it came in, because it didn't stick around long, and screwing a barrel on it just compounded my loss.

I have 3 Manners. 1 was a group buy that took the expected 8 months for delivery. Other two, both EH1As, came from one being purchased from the flat tops in stock and one ready to ship. Even the flat top with a 4-6 week estimate shipped in <10 days and they had great communication ensuring it was inlet for action & barrel how I wanted it. My origin with barloc fit perfectly.

Ask me how I know. Lol. Once you modify it, its yours...

Manners customer service was excellent to me. I heard of a dummy that used his wife's shipping scale to weigh his new manners stock. It was 8oz heavier than it was supposed to be! "Darn manners", he thought. Sends it back to the company and Manners made up another stock and shipped it to the guy. He decided to weigh his others and they were all heavy ... sinking feeling ....
Long story longer, this moron (me) didn't verify my wife's scale and it was wrong. A lot of extra work for manners that they didn't deserve but they did it without a complaint for my dumb you know what. I'm a lifelong customer now. I owe them that much.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.