267 Gr HHT - 338 RUM RL-23

I was able to hit the range again and tried increasing the charge a bit. On this outing, I went with 83.5, 83.9, 84.2, and 84.5 gr charges. 83.5 was the most accurate of the day, so I figured I'd load up another 5 and send them over the magnetospeed which gave the following results:

Avg of 2913 FPS, ES of 15, and SD 6

IMG_3760.jpeg

IMG_3786.jpeg

Pretty happy with the velocity and accuracy so far. I still need to take them out to distance to see how the BC lines up.

Last edited:
I was able to hit the range again and tried increasing the charge a bit. On this outing, I went with 83.5, 83.9, 84.2, and 84.5 gr charges. 83.5 was the most accurate of the day, so I figured I'd load up another 5 and send them over the magnetospeed which gave the following results:

Avg of 2913 FPS, ES of 11, and SD 6

View attachment 495730
View attachment 495732

Pretty happy with the velocity and accuracy so far. I still need to take them out to distance to see how the BC lines up.
Great shooting !
How can you not like the Rum and some Hammers !

Rum Man

Anyone shoot these through a standard 338 Lapua? It is a short barrel, so wondering if the faster powder would be better than the N570.

Put a couple of the 213s through it, but just checking for pressure. 92.5gr with RL23 is probably about it with Peterson cases.

Took my 338 RUM out to Wyoming for a few hunts (bull elk, doe antelope, and buck deer).

Bull elk didn't quite pan out - weather was very nice and we just didn't have the typically numbers of elk around. Saw plenty of bulls but was being picky.

I had a doe antelope tag in my pocket and decided to try the HHT out when I saw a lone doe at 400 yards. As expected, she just tipped right over at impact.

The next morning, I was overlooking one of our alfalfa fields that seemed to hold plenty of whitetails. After sitting for a good hour or so, I finally caught some movement and noticed a buck chasing a doe pretty hard. One look confirmed he was a really good buck for our area. I ranged him at 400 yards, made the correction and set up for the shot. I stayed off the shoulder and he ran about 50 yards before crumbling in the field.

Snapseed.jpeg

Snapseed.jpeg
Snapseed.jpeg
Snapseed.jpeg

I'll take the 338 out again for cow elk in late Nov and see if we can get a few more animals down with it.

Last edited: