264 Win Mag brass life

1mechanic

Is anybody using Prvi 264 win mag brass? How many reloads are you getting out of it? I'm trying to figure out how much brass to buy for the life of the barrel.

I have fiddled with it some. The lot I used was quite robust, it weighed in at 257-261g. I dialed my charge weight back 3g to start with. I found it duplicated the velocity of the 228-230g Nosler brass I had been using with about 2g less powder. I believe I reloaded those 60 pieces of brass four times before I moved on

It is very robust brass, but like all belted cases, size the shoulder on a 3 fired piece with only neck sizing to set your die up to bump .0015"-.002" and no more.
I have used Privi brass in several cartridges and it all has been harder than most and responds well to neck annealing.

Cheers.

It is very robust brass, but like all belted cases, size the shoulder on a 3 fired piece with only neck sizing to set your die up to bump .0015"-.002" and no more.
I have used Privi brass in several cartridges and it all has been harder than most and responds well to neck annealing.

Cheers.
How many reloads have you been able to get with the cartridges and what were they?

Both 264WM, 300WM and 338WM had 5 firings before I stopped shooting that brass, and I also had 3 firings on 22-250 brass that my buddy now uses. I have a 100 pieces fired in my 25-06, and once fired 30-06 from my buddy that I sized for my 338-06. Not a single piece has split a neck so far, but it is annealed.

Cheers.

Understand that the weakest link in the chain is the primer pocket. There are a couple of ways to go at working around that. Primarily, keep your powder charges reasonable, It isn't socially acceptable to wear any piece of your rifle on or in your face and larger chamberings exist for a reason. Secondarily, minimize resizing and headspace off the neck to shoulder junction. This helps to keep the head better supported by the chamber at firing by limiting its ability to move. The downside of that can be difficulty in chambering loaded rounds as headspace is approaching zero.
Usually about three to four firings and you'll have to set the shoulder back with a full-length sizing.

Its been my experience with the belted mags that you will get something like 3-4 processings before you will need to run the brass through a body die to bring the area just above the belt back into spec. They swell there and the FL sizing die wont touch it. You may see it happen at different reloadings based on your load, but with my stuff thats where I see it. I have just made using that die a part of the process every time. One side (top), you insert the case to check it ,then if it's in need of sizing run it through the die.