264 Win Mag 160 Matrix Data

I was going to post my question as a new thread but found this one and figure those responding here might best answer it.

I've got a .264 win mag that I used 130 Scirocco's on my mule deer last fall. They chrony at 3225. 130 grain Bergers chrony the same. 140 Bergers were 3190. I'm looking at the 150 Matrix to use on my elk hunt in October. I'd like to try the 160's but I want to keep velocities over 3000 and I'm not sure I'd get there. Note, I'm using Retumbo. I have lots of 7828 SSC but I've not spent much time with it recently.

I liked the performance of the Scirocco on the deer at 300 yards. However, I'd like a bit more consistency in my groups. I get better groups with the Bergers but I have to fiddle around a lot to find the proper seating depth. I've probably got 800 rounds down the Bartlein barrel (1:8 twist) and I don't want to put another 150 down it to find the right load.

I want one bullet to use on pronghorn, mule deer, elk and mountain goat and I'm thinking the 150 might be it. I've got a 6mm Creedmoor that I'm using 105 Bergers so I want to go larger in the 264 than the 130's.

Marshal said the 150 uses a Swift jacket and the 160 uses the J4. How does this thinner jacket perform up close at higher velocities? My usual shot placement is right on the shoulder hoping to break down the animal. Will I need to make more lung/heart shots rather than aiming for the shoulder with this bullet?

Also, I have regular access to a 600 yard range and intermittent access to a 1500 yard range. I'm not going to feel comfortable shooting much past 6-700 yards at an animal.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.