264 WM 160 matrix

J300UM

Anybody played with the 160s in their 264 yet? I'm gonna order some here soon to try in my 264. I did a search and didn't come up with much...

I'm unsure of anyone using it in the .264 but there is a LOT of info of it in the Sherman Short & I've posted a decent bit about using it in my WSM.

t

I've got a load done up for mine.. my barrel is an 8.5 twist 3c Benchmark, shoots the 160's amazing. Loaded with 70.5gr (pretty sure/would have to look to verify) but using Retumbo and F215's, jumping ten thou if I recall, chrony crapped before I could get my ES or exact muzzle velocity (but) during my drop-work what ended up working was 3190fps and the BC of .7

...I know for a fact Litz has tested these and the BC is-not .7 based on those findings, but .7 @ 3190 pencilled out (and did shoot dead-nuts on two separate occasions) So take it or leave it. May be my barrel, may be the higher velocity bumping the BC, I don't know. But it's spot on to 1150 so far as I've tested. I am beyond happy with the 160.

I do my load development at 200, and this load shoots <3/4" (at 200 yards) The 160's are very very accurate. In my opinion, based on their design and BC (to the 6.5 world) they are what the 180 Bergers are to the 7mm's... they are THE bullet

264wm shoots them very well

Thanks guys. I almost forgot I started this thread. Rooster, what length barrel are you running? Those velocities are close to my velocities with 140s. I maxed out around 68.5 gr retumbo with the 140 accubonds @3210-3220.

Thanks guys. I almost forgot I started this thread. Rooster, what length barrel are you running? Those velocities are close to my velocities with 140s. I maxed out around 68.5 gr retumbo with the 140 accubonds @3210-3220.

Barrel length is the surprising part.. I cut mine short as a mountain rifle, it's only 24"

The 140's (I used to shoot) before rebarreling had an accuracy node at 3135. That's the highest I took them. Accuracy was excellent, why mess around. I had no pressure nor do I feel I was anyplace near max with them. That barrel shot the 160's at the same speed, but was a slower twist and didn't quite stabilize them. Few hundred rounds later, barrel puked. Put on the new 3c in a tighter twist purposely to switch to 160, and it worked perfect.

I have a 6.5x284 (also with a benchmark barrel) that everyone claims got a lucky barrel that throws (it's) bullets faster than comprehendable. So whether my 264 got a similar "faster than usual" barrel or what, I don't know. I've read stories of similar claims numerous times in the past, and found it very ironic that "I" ended up seeing exactly that (now) in my-own couple barrels. Ain't complaining though! More than happy with what they're doing.

Barrel length is the surprising part.. I cut mine short as a mountain rifle, it's only 24"

The 140's (I used to shoot) before rebarreling had an accuracy node at 3135. That's the highest I took them. Accuracy was excellent, why mess around. I had no pressure nor do I feel I was anyplace near max with them. That barrel shot the 160's at the same speed, but was a slower twist and didn't quite stabilize them. Few hundred rounds later, barrel puked. Put on the new 3c in a tighter twist purposely to switch to 160, and it worked perfect.

I have a 6.5x284 (also with a benchmark barrel) that everyone claims got a lucky barrel that throws (it's) bullets faster than comprehendable. So whether my 264 got a similar "faster than usual" barrel or what, I don't know. I've read stories of similar claims numerous times in the past, and found it very ironic that "I" ended up seeing exactly that (now) in my-own couple barrels. Ain't complaining though! More than happy with what they're doing.

****, that's fast. Especially from 24", I only get 3248 max safe velocity with the 140 Berger through 27" of barrel and 8"of suppressor. I run right at 3200 with the can off. I have to wonder if I could run the 160 near 3,000... Guessed I need to order some and find out

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts