264 Thor ?

BCDeerWild

I heard of this at a different forum but can't find any info on it. They said it is based off the STW with a 35 degree shoulder but that is all that was said. Would like some more info on this if anyone knows.

Just think of it as a 6.5 Win mag with a 150fps increase in velocity. The 6.5STW is a way overbore cartridge but if ultimate performance in a 6.5 is desired, it will do it. Certainly something to consider if using new gen heavies and long barrels.

Are you from BC Canada?

Jerry

Yes I am from BC Canada; northeast corner

I am thinking about a 6.5 that will push a 150 at least at 3500
out of a 30 incher. Not sure if a STW will do it.

What type of bullet are you using?

Any match bullet is going to have a hard time staying together at that speed.

I think 3300 to maybe 3400fps with a 140gr bullet is possible with an STW based 6.5 but again, bullets usually don't like going that fast.

Besides a high BC bullet at 3000fps flies extremely well at LR.

Jerry

PS I am in the OK Valley

Wife says its going to be a couple of years but who knows.
I was looking at the Wildcat bullets, they seem to like the high velocities.

Jerry: Wheres OK Valley, doesn't ring any bells. I am north of Fort St. John

BCDeerWild,

The 6.5 STW and 6.5 Thor are great rounds but will not get the 3500 fps you are looking for with a 150 gr bullet. In fact I would dare say that this is not really a pracitical velocity goal in a 30" barrel in the 6.5mm bore diameter.

My 6.5 Allen Mag is based on a necked down 338 RUM with the shoulder angle increased and body taper removed and It will push this velocity with a 150 class bullet in a 30" barrel.

I have also tested my 6.5mm Allen Xpress which is a 300 Dakota necked down to 6.5mm with the same AM shoulder and body configuration. This round will actually match or slightly beat the STW in velocity potential and in a shorter 2.550" case length. With a 140 gr bullet you can get 3320 fps in a 27" barrel, close to 3400 in a 30" pipe. This is basically what the 6.5mm STW and Thor will also get.

I have only tested the 6.5mm AM a limited amount but have tested my 257 AM extensively which is identical to the 6.5 AM only with a 257 bullet. This round will will drive the 156 gr ULD RBBT Wildcat Bullets to just shy of 3400 fps so it gives some idea what the 6.5mm version would do.

Unfortuntely, these two rounds, with their sharp shoulders and near 100 gr case capacity are only usible with very slow burning ball powders such as AA8700 and the new US869.

In the full length STW case though, I think you will be limited to 3350 with a 150 gr class bullet at safe pressures.

Kirby Allen(50)

Summerland which is just north of Penticton.

To get into a wildcat inexpensively, the best deal is to get a Stevens 200 in a 7RM or 300WM, then get a barrel to spin on.

You are near Pouce Coupe so Bevan King might be a great source. Plus his prices are quite low since he doesn't call them 'match' barrels. Still shoot very well.

If you don't mind single feeding and the orig stock (which you can modify easily), the whole project could be in the $700 range.

That's not bad for a hot rod rifle.

As Fifty has said, the goal is pretty tough with present components and really not necessary. Better to go with a higher BC bullet, then drive a lighter bullet too fast.

Odds are a 165 to 170gr 6.5 will be available. Drive that to 3100fps and LR performance will be amazing.

You can't go fast enough with a 'stubby' bullet to keep up with a streamlined one.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.