.260 vs 6.5 Creedmore

I can can tell you that my 1000 yard 6.5creed has a 29 inch barrel and only shoots 2850 fps with 147eldms. It uses h4350. It's the absolute most accurate powder I use in the Creed. But my hunting rifle uses rl26 because I don't need better than 1/2 moa in it. It shoots 2950 with 147eldms. It's super custom all the way. It's an out of the box Tikka with a Tupperware stock and all. 24 inch barrel. Never lost a primer because I can't put too much rl 26 in it. It would go faster if I could get more in there but it's full. Will every 6.5creed go 2950. Probably not. But not all barrels are the same. I've seen one slow Creed my friend has. It has a 22 inch barrel and is a Savage. Factory Hornady 140 loads go 2575 fps in it. I can tell you it probably won't shoot 2950 even with rl 26. I don't know why all the non believers. I've been building custom rifles and reloading for over 30 yrs I'm not going to lie about it. The non believers here probably don't even own one. And if you do own one haven't shot rl26 in it or you would know what others and I have said is true. Any non believer can come to my shop with their own chrono and see for themselves. Or go to my friend's house and see his 24 inch barrel push 140s over 3000. All you haters of the Creed pool your money up and buy one. Load it with rl26 and come back and tell us it can't.
Shep

Remington sucks - their marketing sucks, the R&D sucks, they have no idea what long range hunters/shooters want or need. Thats why none of their 260 offerings came with a twist rate fast enough to stabilize the high BC 6.5 bullets.

Edit: to sum it all up they are idiots and they suck. The 6.5 creedmoor never would have been necessary if Remington hadn't screwed the pooch on the 260.
I have a .260 rem in a SAKO 85 grey wolf and it is a tack driver. Also with 1/8 twist, I shoot a 142 Nosler ABLR at 2844 FPS and that's out of the metric version of a 22" barrel--I'll be your 6.5 CM huckleberry:)! OBTW--I also have two 6.5 CM because, you know, why not?

Varying opinions... makes you go hmmm.

and I do agree that Remington sucks.
Really? M700 Gen II R5 gave me this results...I kinda think it' ok..at least for me in 260 Remington. 3 shot group 2699 ft/s.

Attachments

• DSCN0018.JPG
    DSCN0018.JPG
    799.7 KB · Views: 60
Really? M700 Gen II R5 gave me this results...I kinda think it' ok..at least for me in 260 Remington. 3 shot group 2699 ft/s.
The sad part is if Remington sucks than why does the military use it for their sniper rifles and why do all aftermarket action base their actions off the Remington model 700. The things that make you go hum.

That's a pretty artful bullseye:).
The sad part is if Remington sucks than why does the military use it for their sniper rifles and why do all aftermarket action base their actions off the Remington model 700. The things that make you go hum.
Probably the one behind the gun. Remington has always been pretty good

Hornady marketed the hell out of it. Just like they did the prc line. It's all about marketing my friend. Those rounds do nothing that the older calibers do or don't do better.
It's about more than marketing. They made sure the needed ecosystem would be in place.

Having said that, there isn't a deer alive that would know the difference between getting shot by a 260 vs 6.5cr with the same bullet and same shot placement.

Probably the one behind the gun. Remington has always been pretty good
Actually there was a time when I went thru a BUNCH of problematic 700s - Rem had some QC issues, not talking about triggers. Older 700s seemed consistent. They may have gotten back on track a bit before the VC firms ran them in the ground.

I owned a custom 6.5/308 the year before 260 was SAAMI'd - and many 260s including a couple of nice customs. They shoot well but more fickle to get accuracy vs a CM or 47. That said, if you run Lapua brass or other quality brass and the right powders, you can get solid accuracy. To me it's easier to find accuracy when loading a CM or 47.......and good ammo is factory available in CM. 260s will give a bit more speed.......not enough to matter to me.

Lapua is releasing factory .260 Rem and 6.5 CM using the Scenar-L 136gr bullet this summer.

Cheers

Hornady marketed the hell out of it. Just like they did the prc line. It's all about marketing my friend. Those rounds do nothing that the older calibers do or don't do better.
People act like their is something wrong with an American company developing and marketing a new round that becomes highly successful. I dont get it. I mean the 30:06 will kill just about anything in North America so why would we NEED anything else? Remington did a poor job with the 260. Plus the timing wasn't right. Hats off to Hornady.

IF Hornday had made the 260 they would have done 3 things.
Made ammo with more consistent quality brass
Made ACCURATE Ammo, affordable like the CM, and up to it's spec/potential
Had it set from inception with 8 twist

That might have given the 260 a much better success at launch.
On the 9 twist, I had a Sako 75 sporter, grey wolf, shot first 2 in same hole at 200 yds, 3rd opened to 1-1.25" - over and over for 3-shot groups. Yes, in 260. Using both Federal 7/08 and Federal 308 brass necked down, 130 - Either Accubonds or Bergers, over H4350. That load with Bergers shot 1/2" at 200 in a Borden action rifle with Bartlein #3 8 twist. Yes, 260s will shoot great, but I used them enough to say, there is a tighter range of what makes one run at it's potential. Again the CM and 47 will, in my experience, be easier to find accuracy. As to any speed difference, no animal will know that in the field, and any drop/drift can be handled by a few clicks.

Not the first time, nor perhaps the last that Rem will mess up what might be a good thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.