.260 vs 6.5 Creedmore

The 6,5 Creedmoor was designed specifically to match the .260 Remington in performance yet allow the cartridge to be loaded into an AR10 size magazine without sacrificing case capacity with the typical 140 grain bullets of today for the caliber. It does that.

The 6,5 Creedmoor was designed specifically to match the .260 Remington in performance yet allow the cartridge to be loaded into an AR10 size magazine without sacrificing case capacity with the typical 140 grain bullets of today for the caliber. It does that.
The cm comes close but doesn't match the speed of the 260 in any reloading manuals. We can argue accuracy nodes and hot loads, but the 260 gives almost 100fps more with the 140 class bullets. Reloder 26 works in both :)

The cm comes close but doesn't match the speed of the 260 in any reloading manuals. We can argue accuracy nodes and hot loads, but the 260 gives almost 100fps more with the 140 class bullets. Reloder 26 works in both :)
Out of a bolt rifle sure. In an AR10 setup the COL of 2.825" limits will allow the Creedmoor to utilize more case capacity in that particular context.

Last edited:

I have yet to see that happen, AI'ing the 260 works but a straight 260 I've never seen any difference between the two unless one had a fast barrel.

Man did it take a long time to read this entire thread! Keeps me off the street I guess, my 260 is a savage with a 1 in 8 twist. Works fine and I like it, if I was building one now it would probably still be a 260. Just old school I guess. Gotta go rest up now, newbies got their work cut out for them here, maybe start a why does everyone hate barrel nuts thread :0 Dave

Apparently, Mach 1 and I are on the same page. I have owned a 260 Rem in the past and currently own a 6.5 Creedmoor. Both are great rounds, but I would suggest that much of the current hype surrounding the 6.5 Creedmoor is just that - hype. I have not been able to get my Creedmore up to the performance of my old 260. I recognize that rifle characteristics and barrel length can have some impact on that. But I believe the real difference for me had more to do with my reloading than anything else.

From what I have seen, the 260 Rem and 6.5 CM appear to be close in terms of velocity when comparing load data. However, that is with an unlevel playing field. Min/Max loads for the Rem 260 tend to be 58,500 - 59,600 in pressure. The 6.5 CM is typically run at 60,200 - 60,500. If you push the 260 to those same pressures, then the difference becomes more apparent. I only used Lapua brass in my 260 because it could withstand the higher loading pressures I was using. Lapua doesn't make brass for the 6.5 CM (yet). I have been hearing good things about ADG, so maybe my 6.5 CM can be boosted a little more with high quality brass.

As to the arguments of 'better case design' and 'more inherently accurate', these claims are hard to quantify or justify. However, I would hasten to point out that the 260 Rem is nothing more than a 308 Win case necked down to .264. The claims regarding case design and inherent accuracy of the 308 were and still are the mantra for most of the bench competition shooters, so I am at a loss as to when and how the Rem 260 lost those same attributes.

Reall
6.5 CM ammo is way more accurate 260 ammo....
Also, SAAMI spec for old school 260 is a 9 twist. The superior 6.5 CM SAAMI spec is an 8 twist which stabilizes heavy for caliber bullets (like the 140s) better.
The consumer has spoken. It is not the magazine articles. IMO anyways. :D[/QUOTE Really? Hmm How can you get much better than this?
DSCN0018.JPG

First custom chamber was 6.5/08 over 35 yrs ago. Still have that Rem 700 w/over 4K rd count with 2nd barrel (Bartlein) after 3K on Lija first barrel. I have AI AX with factory 260 chamber and Proof CF with 6.5 CM. In long range shooting they are neck in neck with accuracy out to 1500', on that platform. Built full custom 6.5cm last yr. that has repeatedly given me the best accuracy of ANY caliber. All things being equal I still grab one of my 260's first. 6.5cm was a lot easier to find accuracy nodes with than 260. Smith has one of my 260's now to Improve chamber on and go that direction next...Yes Hornady has outsmarted all other manufacturers with Marketing and design. No one has produdced factory ammo that shoots for as cheap and as good as 6.5cm period! God, I hate saying that. I quit reloading for my CM when I could buy 140 gr for .88 loaded rd. Except for the 147 and other heavy bullets. REMINGTON, what happened to R&D? Oh yea, this leticious society got in the way.

Nosler M48 .260 that was sent to their custom shop prior to me owning it. It is a .75" gun with consecutive shots. This three shot group was with about 15 minutes bw shots using factory Nosler 130AB.

Attachments

• 20191220_070854_compress30.jpg
    20191220_070854_compress30.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 108
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.