260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?

• Total voters
I think 6.5/06 dies are custom also aren't they.

One thing I really like about my 6.5 Cm is it's real mild shooting. I think the 260 would be similar.
But. The 6.5 06 wouldn't be bad. And it is faster.

I think 6.5/06 dies are custom also aren't they.

One thing I really like about my 6.5 Cm is it's real mild shooting. I think the 260 would be similar.
But. The 6.5 06 wouldn't be bad. And it is faster.

yesterday I read an interesting blog by an F class shooter using a 6.5x57AI. His barrel was a little longer than I'd prefered, but guess he knew more about what he needed that I would have. Anyway he was pushing 140's at 2950fps while shooting 3/8th" groups (he's still developing loads for the round). Made a list of Dave Kiff reamer print numbers to choose from (all were slightly different). The one he used was a miniumum chamber design that put the .257 case in a serious crush to aid in fireforming cases. Now according to the Hornaday manual his velocities are right in there with a 6.5-06 and the 6.5/284, and at the worst only slightly slower.
gary

I guess a lot depends on how much time a guy wants to spend making brass. . And or how competetive he wants the rifle to be. From the reports it looks like having the barrel boron nitride coated nearly doubles its like expectancy.

If I was going to do a 6.5-06 I would go A.I. some times the most accurate load is less than Max velocity and you may be able to find the sweet spot at Max 06 but less than Max A.I. vel.

The 260 class cartridges are generally going to prefer 120-130 gr projectiles regardless of twist. You will probably need 6.5x55 AI(BJ) or larger to have a rifle that prefers 140s. 6.5-06 is sweet the AI version dies are much more expensive, but the cartridge is even sweeter. The 6.5-06 AI is near to perfect for long range hunting purposes with midsize cartridges. I've never played with the short mags, but I think magazine length will limit them.

A 6.5-270 AI would give you .050" more neck making barrel life better and brass prep significantly easier. 6.5x55 BJ AI is in a really nice niche as well, I will probably own one of these before I meet my maker.

The 6.5-06 is useably more powerful and therefore better suited for long range. Although the benefits of the 06 case won't be that evident before 800 yds and the 260 should give you a little better barrel life and the option of Lapua brass.

The 260 class cartridges are generally going to prefer 120-130 gr projectiles regardless of twist. You will probably need 6.5x55 AI(BJ) or larger to have a rifle that prefers 140s. 6.5-06 is sweet the AI version dies are much more expensive, but the cartridge is even sweeter. The 6.5-06 AI is near to perfect for long range hunting purposes with midsize cartridges. I've never played with the short mags, but I think magazine length will limit them.

A 6.5-270 AI would give you .050" more neck making barrel life better and brass prep significantly easier. 6.5x55 BJ AI is in a really nice niche as well, I will probably own one of these before I meet my maker.

The 6.5-06 is useably more powerful and therefore better suited for long range. Although the benefits of the 06 case won't be that evident before 800 yds and the 260 should give you a little better barrel life and the option of Lapua brass.

This is why the 6.5 Sherman really shines with the 140 and up bullets. It turns it into a true longer range hunter in a 6.5. One of the guys is shooting 160's at 3050' with superb LR accuracy, but I will let him post when he is ready. Also, on the short action comment, we are in the process os developing a 6.5 Sherman Shortmag which will funtion in any short action magazine and should come very close to the 6.5 Sherman ballistics and with Norma brass to boot........Rich

I guess a lot depends on how much time a guy wants to spend making brass. . And or how competetive he wants the rifle to be. From the reports it looks like having the barrel boron nitride coated nearly doubles its like expectancy.

If I was going to do a 6.5-06 I would go A.I. some times the most accurate load is less than Max velocity and you may be able to find the sweet spot at Max 06 but less than Max A.I. vel.

note:

as a rule a piece of steel that is nitrided retains it's shape and deminsions, but not always. I've seen steel grow as much as .0009", and shrink a similar amount depending upon it's chemical make up. It will add a very slight amount to the rigidity, and maybe decrease wear on the rifeling a little bit (your basicly increasing the first ten or fifteen thousandths of the bore's surface about 25 points on the Rockwell scale). I cannot see anyway it will allow the metal to withstand much more heat. I've had a lot of steel nitrided in my lifetime (all three processes), and the best jobs always came out of 4xxx C/M series steel that were cut from prehardened blanks rockwelling around 28rc to 35rc.
gary

there are more than a couple 6.5x55 improves cartridge designs. The best was probably the one from Dr. Arch, and was so good that it was necked down all the way to .223 and up all the way to .308. Then there is the 7x57 necked down, or the .257 Roberts necked up (that's what the guy I posted about was using). Then there is the 6.5x57 Mauser case that was improved upon by Ackley and the AAR folks. That case is a little longer at the shoulders, but has a shorter neck length. Ackley stated that the 30-06 case necked down to .264 was a little overbore and better suited for heavier bullets. Dr. Arch's findings kinda prove this out with the 6.5x55 improved case he did (Vias did a similar one). He got 2900 fps with a 140 grain bullet using 54 grains of H450 (pretty hot?). Now the .257 Roberts case shoulders are on about .017" longer, and the guy got 50fps more velocity from a 28" barrel verses Arch's 26" barrel. The 06 shoulder length is roughly .200" longer and is good for about 150 fps maxed out using a lot more powder. Had the 6.5x57 case length been 6.5x60 I suspect the velocity would have been similar (adding .078" to the shoulder and the other to the neck length)
gary

Rich, the Sherman looks fun. The ballistics mentioned are impressive. I look forward to hearing about that 6.5sm in the future. What have you experienced for barrel life?

Gary, I mentioned the 6.5x55 AI because I think it represents a minimum chambering for 140s as the preferred bullet weight. I am personally drawn to it because the second cheapest lapua brass is 6.5x55, and case prep should be a snap. That 6.5x57 AI does looks potent. What brand brass was that fella shooting?

Rich, the Sherman looks fun. The ballistics mentioned are impressive. I look forward to hearing about that 6.5sm in the future. What have you experienced for barrel life?

Gary, I mentioned the 6.5x55 AI because I think it represents a minimum chambering for 140s as the preferred bullet weight. I am personally drawn to it because the second cheapest lapua brass is 6.5x55, and case prep should be a snap. That 6.5x57 AI does looks potent. What brand brass was that fella shooting?

I currently have over 1500 rounds through mine and it still shoots under 1/2". It has dropped off a little but when you consider that most 6.5-284's go south sooner and I get 150' more velocity, I can live with that......rich
p.s. still crunching the numbers a little on the 6.5 SS but my goal is to reach Sherman ballistics with less powder and do it in a TRUE short action......Rich

I have no experience with the 06 but I love the .260 Rem. I shoot an HS Precision 260 Rem. It's my go to rifle for popping gophers, yotes, paper, and Mule deer. I prefer .257 1/4 bore for white tail. Have some info I'd like to share.
.260 Match Ammo Comparison Test
Notice the 1000 meter comparison to the .308. I'm just surprised the 260 R hasn't caught on as an all-around-one-gun of choice. I would not hesitate to hunt moose or elk with it though I do go to my 300 win for them simply because I am not a one gun guy.
Besides a don't have to re-size brass to reload and factory ammo is available.

To muddy the waters some more. The 260AI will push 140's upwards of 3000fps, also don't rule out a 6.5x55 either. I have the 260AI in a semi-custom rem 700 short action and a hunting partner shoots the 6.5x55 in a Tikka Varmint. In a modern action the 6.5x55 comes pretty close to the 260AI (we haven't really worked with it yet, but I'm sure we can still get more out of it, but alas the season is upon us)

Really either one will work for you, but if I was going with an odd-ball chambering, I would go with the AI version's. Factory and I would go with the 6.5x55.

Not to thread hack but just curious as to how the 260AI version feeds out of a box mag? Trying to decide between the 260 or the 260AI. Must feed and extract reliably. Thanks.

According to an article.by John Barsness the improved carts feed better from a push feed action than from a crf. I myself don't know. I guess mostly what u need to do to get a push feed to be reliable is tweak the mag feed lips

My 260 AI feeds well as long as I did not fill it all of the way, meaning without too much follower pressure. Without it being filled to maximum capacity it will feed very well but with the last round being placed in the magazine when you try to load the next round it would bind with the cartridge being to verticle. We just sent it in for Melonite coating and tweeked the feed and It will feed well now. Before tweaking it would feed the 260 rounds being fire formed no problem. So the point is if you go AI you may have to do a little tweeking but you can get it to feed.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.