260 Rem Vs. 6.5-06

What is a better hunting caliber the 260 Rem or the 6.5-06?

• Total voters
a good barrel is only $300 -$400, if a fella can't afford that, get a cartridge that will allow several thousand rounds and quit messin with the ones that barely make 1 k, every forum you go on guys are whining about barrel life of a certain cartridge, simple : don't use it

I just necked down the 300 Norma Mag to 6.5, gave it a longer neck and a 35 degree shoulder, that will "maybe" last 800 rnds but will provide some screaming 6.5 mm ballistics at 3600-3700 fps with a 140 gr bullet, you want performance you gotta give something up somewhere,

not trying to start a fire here, just the whole "barrel life" issue should be put to rest,
if you know it's gonna burn you, you should know better than to touch it
A few hundred dollars is not chump change to a lot of people and barrel life issues are something not everyone is aware of which is why we point it out. Some people simply cannot afford to replace barrels ever year or every few years.

There's a law of diminishing returns with over bores and we'd be remiss if we didn't discuss it since part of that rule is the additional expense caused by burning up barrels.

a good barrel is only $300 -$400, if a fella can't afford that, get a cartridge that will allow several thousand rounds and quit messin with the ones that barely make 1 k, every forum you go on guys are whining about barrel life of a certain cartridge, simple : don't use it

I just necked down the 300 Norma Mag to 6.5, gave it a longer neck and a 35 degree shoulder, that will "maybe" last 800 rnds but will provide some screaming 6.5 mm ballistics at 3600-3700 fps with a 140 gr bullet, you want performance you gotta give something up somewhere,

not trying to start a fire here, just the whole "barrel life" issue should be put to rest,
if you know it's gonna burn you, you should know better than to touch it

At that rate my rifle would spend more time at the smith than on the range. I think barrel life is worth considering.

Build a 6.5 Sherman, have the barrel melonited, and who knows how many rounds you could burn! I get 3200' with a 140 in a 26" barrel with great accuracy at around 3150'. I currently have approx. 1500 rounds through it and will still shoot less than 1/2 moa. This is without melonite. You can load it down with GOOD accuracy and still reach .264 mag ballistics with 75 grain capacity. Just a thought .......Rich

Elkaholic,

your 6.5 is still a viable option and is more intriguing than the 6.5 WSM , at present I am involved in an expiremental switchbarrel project based on a Sako TRGS, KRG chassis and the 300 & 338 Norma Mag case frankensteined with 35 degree shoulders in 5 calibers (6.5, 30, 338, 375 and 416)

I fully understand my 6.5's throat killing tendencies at high velocity but will use the initial bbl to fireform brass and test its potential with heavy Norma Oryx and Lapua bullets, when the bbl's toast I'll have all my data and new barrel will be relegated for moose hunting, my 14 yr old daughter has shown to be quite proficient with my 338 Edge at 300 yards so this will be her moose thumper with less recoil but utilizing the great sd's the 6.5 mm bullets possess, especially the 155 Norma Oryx at 3500 + fps,

the thing is I am fully aware of the conditions and will proceed, my point was if barrel life is such a big concern to some shooters, they should stay away from cartridges that have the potential to burn barrels in less than 2k rnds and they will have less to **** and moan about

Elkaholic,

your 6.5 is still a viable option and is more intriguing than the 6.5 WSM , at present I am involved in an expiremental switchbarrel project based on a Sako TRGS, KRG chassis and the 300 & 338 Norma Mag case frankensteined with 35 degree shoulders in 5 calibers (6.5, 30, 338, 375 and 416)

I fully understand my 6.5's throat killing tendencies at high velocity but will use the initial bbl to fireform brass and test its potential with heavy Norma Oryx and Lapua bullets, when the bbl's toast I'll have all my data and new barrel will be relegated for moose hunting, my 14 yr old daughter has shown to be quite proficient with my 338 Edge at 300 yards so this will be her moose thumper with less recoil but utilizing the great sd's the 6.5 mm bullets possess, especially the 155 Norma Oryx at 3500 + fps,

the thing is I am fully aware of the conditions and will proceed, my point was if barrel life is such a big concern to some shooters, they should stay away from cartridges that have the potential to burn barrels in less than 2k rnds and they will have less to **** and moan about
If we educate people about known barrel burners then they will know which to avoid won't they?

The main function of this website is to help those new to the sport.

If we educate people about known barrel burners then they will know which to avoid won't they?

The main function of this website is to help those new to the sport.

problem is that there is a mental intellect that say the more powder to burn the better the round is. Yet some of us also know that a given bore diameter will only handle just so much powder.

I wish everybody that dreamed up a new killer round had read Ackley's books prior to putting on his or her's thinking cap. Then maybe we all would better understand why this shoulder angle and this neck length has so much to dowith the basic equation of case design. I for one have dreamed up some new super duper round more than once only to realize it was a bust before I ever ordered in the reamer.

There's also a lot to be learned from known guys like the late Ferris Pendel and Bob Greanleaf. Specially the latter as he always seems to have a new wildcat round in the works, and have yet to see one from him that didn't shoot way over the top.
gary

problem is that there is a mental intellect that say the more powder to burn the better the round is. Yet some of us also know that a given bore diameter will only handle just so much powder.

I wish everybody that dreamed up a new killer round had read Ackley's books prior to putting on his or her's thinking cap. Then maybe we all would better understand why this shoulder angle and this neck length has so much to dowith the basic equation of case design. I for one have dreamed up some new super duper round more than once only to realize it was a bust before I ever ordered in the reamer.

There's also a lot to be learned from known guys like the late Ferris Pendel and Bob Greanleaf. Specially the latter as he always seems to have a new wildcat round in the works, and have yet to see one from him that didn't shoot way over the top.
gary
Don't leave Mr. Weatherby out of the equation either. While the double radius design just looks stupid to me it's incredibly efficient and seems to focus the bulk of the heat in the center of the bore vs against the sides of the throat reducing throat erosion compared to conventional cases. I had this explained to me in a way I could understand finally by a good friend using a cutting torch adjusting the oxygen and acetylene flows.

After than it made perfect sense.

A few people have come up with some hellacious wildcats on various Weatherby Cartridges. They have a loyal cult following as well but really never caught on with the general public like many of the others.

That same friend had a 7mm x 300 weatherby and 6.5 x 300wby that were just nail driving screamers that were absolutely devastating open country and wheat field rigs.

Don't leave Mr. Weatherby out of the equation either. While the double radius design just looks stupid to me it's incredibly efficient and seems to focus the bulk of the heat in the center of the bore vs against the sides of the throat reducing throat erosion compared to conventional cases. I had this explained to me in a way I could understand finally by a good friend using a cutting torch adjusting the oxygen and acetylene flows.

After than it made perfect sense.

A few people have come up with some hellacious wildcats on various Weatherby Cartridges. They have a loyal cult following as well but really never caught on with the general public like many of the others.

That same friend had a 7mm x 300 weatherby and 6.5 x 300wby that were just nail driving screamers that were absolutely devastating open country and wheat field rigs.

pass this man a cigar!

you are correct in the double radius directing the hot gas flow towards the center,but the sharp shoulder will do this as well. But the double radi shoulder is not new to Roy Weatherby. It was developed by some other folks that were equalely as smart. What most people fail to realize about the double radius is that it's much more rigid than a strait line. Plus the actual shoulder angle computes in the 45 degree area (at least one WBY case is 47+ degrees). Plus I've just never noticed much brass flow in them (I'm sure there is some). Weatherby developed a lot of cartridges that most of us will never know about. Some were a bust (.224 comes to mind), and some are great rounds. I always thought his .460 on paper looked fantastic, but in real world shooting was not so hot (too much velocity). His 7mm mag was probably his best, but know that he liked the .257mag the best. I have a small little group that I put Roy inside of that were great cartridge designers. That would include Ackley, Mashburn, Vias, Pendle/Palmisano, and Mike Walker, and maybe
Jack O Conner.
gary

It's interesting to note that the same gentleman that condemns one man for creating something "he" thinks is extreme will at the click of a key on his computer glorify others for doing the same thing ............... all in the same post !

If it wasn't for Mr. Weatherby and Mr. Ackley and many others we would still be limited to WW1 and WW2 cartridges and consider 400 yards as extreme long range.....

These days we shoot beyond 1000 yards accurately and effectively, and most important ..repeatedly.....

Avancements will only come if any one man is willing to shrug off and discard so-called "experts" and continue with innovation through expirementation with components available to him in his era

It's interesting to note that the same gentleman that condemns one man for creating something "he" thinks is extreme will at the click of a key on his computer glorify others for doing the same thing ............... all in the same post !

If it wasn't for Mr. Weatherby and Mr. Ackley and many others we would still be limited to WW1 and WW2 cartridges and consider 400 yards as extreme long range.....

These days we shoot beyond 1000 yards accurately and effectively, and most important ..repeatedly.....

Avancements will only come if any one man is willing to shrug off and discard so-called "experts" and continue with innovation through expirementation with components available to him in his era
You seem to be going out of your way to be contentious on this subject. Shoot what you want and enjoy it.

It's your choice and if you wish to push the bounds to the extremes and can afford to do so man go for it.

Not many people can afford to rebarrel a rifle every year or so and for many doing so would mean they are without a hunting rifle for many months at a time every year or so because they can only afford one.

I shoot the 7mm STW considered extreme to most people and absolutely one that will eat barrels if you shoot it a lot especially if you shoot it hot. It's also a caliber I recommend to others. Just not to people who fit into that category above without a warning as to the shorter barrel life.

If I had the extra time and money I'd in fact build a 6.5STW and just neck down 7mm STW brass for it but I can't and have no justification for the expense so I won't.

I agree with WildRose, shoot what you can afford and enjoy your self! It does not matter if it's the most trendy, fastest or hardest hitting, just go out, shoot and have fun!

You seem to be going out of your way to be contentious on this subject. Shoot what you want and enjoy it.

It's your choice and if you wish to push the bounds to the extremes and can afford to do so man go for it.

Not many people can afford to rebarrel a rifle every year or so and for many doing so would mean they are without a hunting rifle for many months at a time every year or so because they can only afford one.

I shoot the 7mm STW considered extreme to most people and absolutely one that will eat barrels if you shoot it a lot especially if you shoot it hot. It's also a caliber I recommend to others. Just not to people who fit into that category above without a warning as to the shorter barrel life.

If I had the extra time and money I'd in fact build a 6.5STW and just neck down 7mm STW brass for it but I can't and have no justification for the expense so I won't.

How does that song go> "Abilene, Abilene, prettiest place I've ever seen."

I have a buddy that's been hooked on the 7mm STW for eons. Tony loves the round. Always kinda wanted the STW necked up to 30 cailber, or even better .338
gary

How does that song go> "Abilene, Abilene, prettiest place I've ever seen."

I have a buddy that's been hooked on the 7mm STW for eons. Tony loves the round. Always kinda wanted the STW necked up to 30 cailber, or even better .338
gary
"The friendlies people and the purdiest women I ever seen... are in Abilene, my Abilene... .

I was a 7mm Rem guy for twenty years. Around 89-90 I discovered the STW. It's been a love affair ever since.

I put the first few rounds down the tube today on my latest aquisition which is a Model 70 Sharpshooter 7mm STW. A very rare and hard to find duck let me tell you.

I actually thought I'd overpaid for this one. It's all original, Schneider ultra match barrel, stainless, with the black receiver.

Put one through it at 25 to get on paper, 2 more at 100 to get it right and the rest between 400-750 making golf ball sized rocks out of softball sized rocks.

Man did I NOT over pay!

"The friendlies people and the purdiest women I ever seen... are in Abilene, my Abilene... .

I was a 7mm Rem guy for twenty years. Around 89-90 I discovered the STW. It's been a love affair ever since.

I put the first few rounds down the tube today on my latest aquisition which is a Model 70 Sharpshooter 7mm STW. A very rare and hard to find duck let me tell you.

I actually thought I'd overpaid for this one. It's all original, Schneider ultra match barrel, stainless, with the black receiver.

Put one through it at 25 to get on paper, 2 more at 100 to get it right and the rest between 400-750 making golf ball sized rocks out of softball sized rocks.

Man did I NOT over pay!

been right thru your area a few times in the past while listening to Jerry Jeff Walker (east coast guys won't know who that is). One of my closest friends is from Abilene
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts