260 rem quandary

Some have necked down the 280AI to 6.5 and used the 120NBT on elk and even moose!

Sounds like a 6.5-06 AI. Quite popular in the South Island of New Zealand, for an LR Alpine tops calibre on European Chamois and Himalayan Tahr - lighter bullets for the Chamois, heavier for the Tahr.

Once I've shot out the barrel on my Omark, 260R is an option I've been thinking about. 30" long, 8T - for heavy 0.264" bullets in F-Open comp. Have to upgrade my glass though 🥴

I have an encore with a 15 inch barrel that I bought to hunt a specific piece of land. I found a used 260 Remington barrel and find it quite ideal. In developing loads the 130s will do 2500, the 120 Nosler ballistic tip 2600 and change and the 100 ballistic tip 2900 even. This is Central New York white tails where the largest deer I've ever shot on this property was 196 dressed. Most are in the 120-150 lb range dressed. Absolute furthest feasible shot is 300 yards. Most are from right there to 100. Thoughts on what weight bullet to settle on?
125gr Nosler Partition

Love the caliber. Seems like the longer i shoot most of the other calibers in my inventory get left behind in favor of the 260. The Idaho Whitetail in my avatar was taken with one. One shot from 257 yards uphill with a 120gr NBT @ 3005. So easy to load for and even easier to shoot.

I'm not a fan of BT or Match rounds for big game hunting, but they do work if you put the bullet where it needs to go.
Shot a buck two years ago with my 260 at 40 yards with a ELD-M... left a fist sized hole behind the off shoulder. Piled up in 30 yards.

I have an encore with a 15 inch barrel that I bought to hunt a specific piece of land. I found a used 260 Remington barrel and find it quite ideal. In developing loads the 130s will do 2500, the 120 Nosler ballistic tip 2600 and change and the 100 ballistic tip 2900 even. This is Central New York white tails where the largest deer I've ever shot on this property was 196 dressed. Most are in the 120-150 lb range dressed. Absolute furthest feasible shot is 300 yards. Most are from right there to 100. Thoughts on what weight bullet to settle on?
for the ranges you are talking about I would look no further than the sierra 130 hollow point game king it is very accurate and kills very well and load development is normally quite easy

I have killed a train car load of deer with .264 caliber weapons over the past 30 or so years. Any of the bullets you mentioned will work fine as long as you put them where they need to go. I might add one bullet that no one has mentioned. The Speer 120 Gold Dot. It is much less costly and is a bonded bullet and is AWESOME on game. I shoot it at 2550 fps out of my 6.5 Grendel rifle. Very accurate also.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.