260 Rem Load Recipeies?

On the H4350...I see the data suggested here, but on Hodgdon's data on their website, the 140 gr Nosler Partition is listed at 39.0 - 42.0 grains and the 142 Sierra HPBT is listed at 41.5 - 44.5 grains. I'm guessing I could start with 42.0 as the Accubond and Berger are closer in design to the Sierra than the Nosler Partition and check every piece of brass for pressure signs.

The burn rate of RL17 and H4350 are very similar. At one time I loaded 44grains of RL17 with the 140VLD. Sent them at 2900+

Sounds great. I loaded 41.5 - 44.5 gr of H4350 in 0.3 gr increments for both the Accubonds and VLDs. Going to load up the RL22 in the morning. If I'm not content with the velocity and accuracy from either powder, I'll pick up some RL17.

The Forster Ultra seater is awesome.

308_temp.jpg

Kombayotch's graph
I have not seen him post here on LRH, but Kombayotch does post on Canadian gun nutz [moderator there], 6mmBR, and SH**.
He is the guy the duplicated the Powder temp tests [with an oven, a cooler, and a chronograph at the range] and duplicated the Ammonia based Copper solvents vs KG12 test.
The best were the Hodgdon Extreme powder series, and now Alliant has ARcomp, which is even more temp stable.

Just H4350 and RL22 right now. I wasn't impressed with H4831sc in my Model Seven 260 for accuracy or velocity. The RL22 pushed a 129 gr SST to just shy of 2900 out of a 20" tube.

H4831sc is generally too slow burning for a 20" barrel. A lot of it burns outside the barrel. I think 26" or more is needed when using this powder.

Trebark, how's the consistency of the RL-17 with heat?

RL17 is very temp sensitive. As a result, I abandoned the load and changed to H4350. I have not yet redeveloped a hunting load for my 260 yet though. At the time I made the change, I was already about to finish a load for my 300RUM. As a result, the RUM has been my primary hunting tool.

With Re17 in a 22" 270 I can get 3000 fps 150 gr and 3230 fps 130 gr with long brass life.
I would have bet money that was not possible.
But that is just at one temperature.
If I have to reduce the load for temperature variations, then there is no real gain over other powders.
I use H4350 or H4895... and I only reduce 4% powder charge from long brass life threshold at room temp, for hunting loads.

I guess that rules out RL-17 for my purposes then. I was thinking about trying it.

I didn't shoot over a chronograph today. I really need to get one.

A buddy of mine sent me pictures of his dope using RL22 in a 300 WSM and the vertical drop at 800 yards was only a 3" difference between 15* F and 110* F air temp.

Justin,
saw your note on the sierra load book and i have that same book but i tend not to use sierra load data much and particuarly like nosler with the info they give i.e. most accurate load and best load info. sierra i find tends to be VERY conservative WRT max loads and they heavily favor Viht powders, which are sometimes very hard to get, especially out here in kentucky. when i was in colorado i could get any powder i wanted but different story out here.

there was another post about 42.5 of H4350 with 140 AMAX and i tried that load and it shot well but 43.0 grns blew it away in a 1-8, 26" krieger. one hole groups at 100 yds. i have also found that a little jump seems to be the recipe for my gun but each lead slinger is different. those loads clocked 2888 average with a SD of about 9.25. very consistent and accurate. talk to you all later.

also, WRT to RL17, i tried RL19 just cause i had it and got VERY good groups with it, however, much to the same chatter i have seem about its temp issues i won't use it. the gentlemen that posted the temp vs velocity graph for the 308 is spot on and that is some awesome tech info. my 308 is shooting one holers at 100 and 2.5 inch groups at 500 with 175 SMK, 42.6 grn 4064 at 2.810 and a cci 200. best load i have ever shot and it clocks right at 2600 just about every time. the last time is tested it those loads had a SD of about 8.0 with an ES of about 12.

I am currently working on my 260 also. Mine is a 1:8 twist out of 26" brux barrel. H4350 seems to be looking favorable. Around 45gr. seems to be the sweet spot in mine. Once the rain stops I can go out and test a little more.

Brent

Also new to the 260.
1-8 twist
28"
berger 140gr VLD Hunting
Remington brass

Looking for a powder that will fill the space, 100%
Any load info?
Thanks Ron

New to long distance shooting.

Building a 260 Rem.

Rem. brass

Berger 140 VLD Hunting.

would like to load to 100% case.
Which load should I use?
Thanks Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.