260 Rem Load Recipeies?

I am sure my data is no good to anyone else at all.
I built 3 rifles, in the fall of 2012 went to the hunting area a week ahead for target practice and load development, and shot the 260 and 7mmRM less and shot more practice and killed the animals with the 257RAIR.

The 260 data from the fall of 2012:
Lapua 308 Palma brass with turned necks, SAAMI 260 reamer, Shilen #3 taper stainless 9" twist finished at 24", 11 degree crown, CCI 450 small rifle magnum primer, 120 Nosler Ballistic tip moly bullets, 2.840" OAL, 40 gr Hodgdon CFE223 ~ 2900 fps, more powder would not get set off by the primer.

After some experimentation, I was only using the KG1, KG12, Kroil, Flitz, and Brownell's moly paste.
This was a great way to break in a barrel with the slow to Copper foul CFE223 powder.

Ive just worked up to a load today thats showing some promise.
Lapua Brass
140 gr Berger VLD target
47 gr. H4831SC
It comin out ~2820FPS
img1230r.jpg

Thank you,

Do you know what percent of case capacity that load is?

I have some Varget on hand, but I know that is far from 100%

Is the 47 gr. H4831SC at max load?

I went back and forth between 47gr and 47.5gr, with the OAL at 2.932. When I seated the bullets into the 47.5 gr I could tell I was compressing the powder (sounded like rice krispys). I didn't have that problem with the 47gr at that OAL.

Thank you,
I getting my brass in next week along with the 140Gr. berger match VLD Hunting.

So looking forwards to this.

It will be two weeks before I get the 260 .

Thank you,
I getting my brass in next week along with the 140Gr. berger match VLD Hunting.

So looking forwards to this.

It will be two weeks before I get the 260 .

Keep your results posted. I would be really curious to see the in flight difference between the VLD hunting and target bullets.

Ron,

I actually just got done testing some loads with 140 AMAX and 43.0 of H4350 does the trick. I have not done anything with the bergers yet but have a box of them (140 VLDs) sitting on my reloading bench ready to go. The 140 AMAX shot about 1/2 inch group at 100 with 3/5 stuffed inside eachother, i think it was shooter error for the other two cause the gun certainly likes to put em in the same hole.

Also, i have been shooting, with awesome succss, the 123 lapua scenars. My dad, first time he ever shot 500 yds and my 260 he shot a 3" group from a bipod off a wobbly table with 43.0 grn H4350 just to warm up.

I am using two loads right now that both perform awesome and they are the 140 AMAX and 123 Scenars with necked down 7mm-08 win brass and cci 200 primers. I find the win brass has a little more case capacity and stands up a bit better.

I have played a little with jumping and jamming but it seems that my gun likes a straight 2.800 length for both bullets. I haven't tried the 140 Bergers yet but i am going to start with a slight jam as typically that is what they like.

my gun is a 24", 1/8 krieger #10 MTU with a fitted rem short action and an HS precision PST025 or PST026 stock (can't remember which number it is but it is the adjustable one) would reccomend it to anybody.

Well hope this helps and when i get some time i will load those bergers up. i am pretty anxious to do so but this time of year sitting in a deer stand has occupied most of my time.

thanks and talk to you later,

Jason

new to 260. just bought a savage long range hunter and getting readyto scope it, was thinking 5.5/22 nightforce and was hoping to shoot the 130 vld's, 130 accubonds, 140 vld and 140 amax and may try the ballistic tips. i have all the powders that will work. Just checking on guys with same rifle what does yours like and what coal.
thanks

new to 260. just bought a savage long range hunter and getting readyto scope it, was thinking 5.5/22 nightforce and was hoping to shoot the 130 vld's, 130 accubonds, 140 vld and 140 amax and may try the ballistic tips. i have all the powders that will work. Just checking on guys with same rifle what does yours like and what coal.
thanks

I have a savage with a CBI barrel, shooting 140 target VLDs, with 47grs 4831 sc. Right now I'm shooting an COAL of 2.93, its sitting like .1 into the lands. Im going to back it off a little and see what happens.

A friend of mine has your same rifle and he shooting those 140 VLD at 2.82 COAL with 47 grs of 4831sc.

Thank you Jason,

I just got my Remington 260 brass in today.

I will have to make a run to Green top and get some H3550.

I have some 129gr. SST Ballistic Coefficient (G1) 0.520 that I use on a 6.5 Grendel.
When I compare the SST to the VLD 140 Berger. well the SST look like a block of wood
:) The VLD are sleek. .Ballistic Coefficient (G1) 0.614

Only a thought.
I still have two weeks before I get my rifle back.
Interarms Mark X action.
28" Shilen 1-8 going to keep the barrel at 1.25
I hope to have a tack driver.

gerryb,

just saw ur post about scoping ur gun and that nightforce is a great scope but might i recomend the 8.5x25x50 MK4 by leupold with M1 knobs. Don't get me wrong the nightforce is a great scope by all means but the MKIV leupold is just as good or perhaps better depending what you are looking for and it would save you some $$. i have the illum TMR and on my 260 it performs very well! don't get me worng there are advantages to the NF as well i just think leupold might be a little better for the $

Ron,
No prob, just looked at your thread there and the powder is H4350, i might have typed it wrong, good luck with the 260 rem brass, would like to know how it performs. pretty interesting as i was testing loads for my 5R 308 and the difference between the lapua brass and the winchester brass was huge. for some reason the lapua brass gave me about 100 fps faster than the win, both shoot great with my load but the lapua i only need 11.25 MOA at 500 where as the win i need about 12.25. of course this is due to velocity but they both paper perfect just slightly different velocities. might like to see how they do for your 260 compared to mine WRT velocity. thanks and good tlaking to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.