.260 Ackley build... Berger or Hornady

Aught-SixGuy

Hey y'all, longtime lurker/viewer, just not much of a poster. But I felt this was worthy of a post. I have in my grubby hands a 25" long 1:8" twist .264 barrel made by X-Caliber, chambered in .260AI. My initial plan was to sling 140 Bergers out of it, as I am a longtime Berger shooter. But the 147 ELD-M by Hornady has caught my eye, and I'm debating on trying them. My question is, with a 25" barrel and using H4831SC, would the 147 even be worth my time? Or is the barrel a bit on the short side to reap the benefits of the longer/heavier projectile by Hornady? And being a hunter first, are the ELD-M Bullets decent on elk? Thanks in advance,
-Gary

Bergers... But that's just my opinion.

I use Hornady and Nosler bullets as well, but have not used them for my precision hunting rifles since I started using Bergers. I use cheap Hornady bullets for fire-forming brass for my Ackleys, and shoot Nosler Custom Comp bullets in several calibers that I shoot at the range ALOT because they're about 1/2 the price of Bergers. Nothing wrong with using them for other purposes, I just prefer the Berger's terminal performance on game, and the higher BC's for hunting.

Bergers... But that's just my opinion.

I use Hornady and Nosler bullets as well, but have not used them for my precision hunting rifles since I started using Bergers. I use cheap Hornady bullets for fire-forming brass for my Ackleys, and shoot Nosler Custom Comp bullets in several calibers that I shoot at the range ALOT because they're about 1/2 the price of Bergers. Nothing wrong with using them for other purposes, I just prefer the Berger's terminal performance on game, and the higher BC's for hunting.
Thank you, I'm still leaning Berger for the same reasons you listed. Just kinda curious.

I have a 260 Ackley as well and I have been running the 140 Bergers out of it since I built it about four years ago. I picked up a box of the 147s as well when they first came out but I just haven't been able to bring myself to load any. The Bergers just shoot to dang good.

I have a 260 Ackley as well and I have been running the 140 Bergers out of it since I built it about four years ago. I picked up a box of the 147s as well when they first came out but I just haven't been able to bring myself to load any. The Bergers just shoot to dang good.
That's kinda my sticking point... Been VERY satisfied with Berger in both shooting results and kills on my elk. I'll probably end up sticking with Berger but open to options. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.